What are you Baking the Week of June 14, 2020?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of June 14, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    aaronatthedoublef
    Participant

Those do look good. And probably easier for people to master as they do not have do cut in butter.

I give my scones a couple of turns as it helps them develop layers.

Like the recipe I pat them into a circle and cut the circles into wedges and push the wedges together. This prevents dried out scones.

chocomouse
      Participant

I made the KAF recipe for Butterflake Herb Loaf, and shaped it into 4 smaller loaf pans. I've adapted the process a bit and don't cut the dough into circles. After rolling the dough out and brushing with melted butter and herbs, I cut it into strips and stack them three high. I then cut the stacks into 3-4 inch sections (depending on what size pans I use), and stand them on their sides in the pans. This can get pretty messy, but the herby butter is better distributed between all the slices. Today I used Penzey's Foxpoint seasoning with a little extra of their roasted garlic. It is the best flavor combo yet!

RiversideLen
        Participant

I'm making my usual sandwich buns. I hope they hurry up and rise because I would like to turn the oven off asap plus I am counting on them for tonight's dinner.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I may start a batch of burger buns shortly, they should be ready to bake about when today's heat has let up.

kimbob
            Participant

Made the white wheat flour smaller pullman loaf. Weighed everything and it was right on the money. Filled the whole pan nicely. Happy dance.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

I baked a loaf of Banana bread still subbing sour cream for buttermilk,all's well.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I'm making hamburger buns tonight.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

In Jeffrey Hamelman's book, he suggests putting butter on top of the soft butter rolls before they go into the oven. For hamburger buns made from that dough, he suggests brushing them with butter after they come out of the oven.

He doesn't specifically mention making seeded buns.

So, I tried putting butter on top of my burger buns after shaping, before the final rise, last night, then I sprinkled sesame seeds on them. I let them proof for close to 2 hours, the dough was just rising slower than normal, not sure why.

The seeds are all falling off, so that's definitely NOT one way to get the seeds to stick! I'm sure the buns will be tasty even without any sesame seeds left on them.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Sometimes I want a good substantial cookie. On Thursday, I took the Bob’s Red Mill recipe for Oregon Trail Cookies and further modified it by replacing the 4 Tbs. of unsalted butter with 2 ½ Tbs. of olive oil plus 1 Tbs. buttermilk, as the dough was a bit crumbly. (That liquid should help with the water lost when the oil replaces the butter.) They also have peanut butter (the kind that is just peanuts and a bit of salt). I replaced 2 Tbs. flax seeds with 1 Tbs. flax meal. I microwaved the very dry cranberries with 1 Tbs. of water and let them sit before I added them. I used a #30 Zeroll scoop and got 24 cookies, twelve on each baking sheet. I flattened them before baking. We will try them for dessert tonight.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

Today the temperature isn't supposed to get much above the mid 80's, so I'm doing some baking.

I'm doing another set of baguettes and epis, they'll be baked later this evening, the dough is still in bulk proof. I bought some micro-perforated plastic baguette bags, they should work more like paper bags, though that probably means the baguettes need to be eaten within a day or so.

I'm also making the chocolate cookies for ice cream sandwiches. I bought a Norpro press to make them a while back from The Prepared Pantry, it came with a cookie mix package, and I'm making that. The mix came with a parchment template, the dimensions of which didn't match up with the instructions on the size of the individual sandwiches, but I think it was actually the right size and the instructions were wrong. I should have just measured the plastic cutter for the sandwich press. It means I only got enough cookies to make 9 ice cream sandwiches instead of 12, but the trim pieces are good for nibbling, and I was planning on cutting them in half so they're more like the size of the mini-sandwiches we've been buying at the store.

The cookies aren't very chocolaty for an ice cream sandwich, I think the chocolate mushroom cookie dough my wife makes might work better, but I'll reserve final judgement until I've had a chance to assemble and taste one.

kimbob
                        Participant

Played with the pain de mie again. The white bread filled the pan perfectly. I really do like the close crumb. 90 here today but baking is never an issue because I have on the central air. 😊 I wouldn't want to live without it!

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

First taste test of the ice cream sandwiches: The cookie is too thick and not chocolatey enough. I think both of those can be addressed by using a different cookie recipe, the mix is disappointing, but it wasn't the reason I bought the press.

cwcdesign
                            Participant

No baking here - the cabinets are in but we have to wait about 10 days for the countertops - there was a miscommunication between the stores. But it will be great when it’s done.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

The baguettes that were in the micro-perforated bags overnight are still firm today, the crust on the one in a regular plastic bag has softened overnight so the micro-perforated bags are working pretty much as I expected them to. The good news is the crust will stay crisp, but that also means they'll probably dry out faster.

FWIW, I ordered these from clearbags.com.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

I double-panned the baguettes last night, I think that kept the bottoms from scorching before the rest of the bread was a nice shade of brown. I could probably have left them in a few minutes longer.

I got a fairly open crust, but not a lot of really big holes. I let them proof longer and that seems to have helped with how easy they were to score, too.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.