What are you baking the week of April 23, 2017

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you baking the week of April 23, 2017

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Len, have you ever made Kaiser rolls? I did that with some marbled rye bread dough once, they were quite pretty. Might work well with Challah dough.

Kaiser Rye Rolls
      Kaiser Rye Rolls, cut open

There are at least 3 ways to do this. The classic method is to fold them, which is what I used for the rolls shown above. it takes a bit of practice but is kind of fun and fairly fast once you get going: Folding Kaiser rolls

My guess is it'd a fun thing to teach to kids. The video doesn't show it, but if you place them upside down for the final proof and then flip them just before they go in the oven, you'll get nicer shapes. I don't know if that'd be necessary with a dough as flexible as Challah, though.

You can also tie them in a knot: Kaiser Rolls - Knot method

Or you can use a stamp.

RiversideLen
      Participant

Mike, I have made Kaiser rolls using a stamp, but not rye. Your marbled rye rolls look great, especially when sliced. Speaking of rye, I have wondered is there a reason you never see it braided? Does it not have enough structure for braiding?

BakerAunt
        Participant

On Thursday, I fed my sourdough starter and made the dough for a double batch of Sourdough Cheese Crackers. I will bake them over the weekend. The dough handles more easily if it has a couple of days in the refrigerator, and it gives the crackers a bit of a zing.

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by BakerAunt.
          Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Rye dough is lower in gluten than a bread with just wheat flour, but it has enough structure to make marbled rye loaves. I don't think I've ever seen it braided, either, maybe rolling it into long strands is the problem?

If you search on 'braided rye', there are some pictures of it, so apparently it isn't totally unheard of.

The marbled rye buns were made by taking 4 pieces of dough, flattening them, stacking them, then doing the Kaiser fold. The other methods for making Kaiser rolls would not have resulted in the striated interior.

RiversideLen
            Participant

I was thinking rye is not braided because if you braid it, you wouldn't slash it, then it might blow out. I did look up some braided rye images so I guess it can be done. I'm going to have to try it.

Today I turned challah into hot dog buns. I have never had good success forming hot dog buns before, so I looked it up on youtube and found a method that seems to work. I haven't cut into any of them yet, but they look ok to me. Next I'll have to work on getting all the buns the same size.

hot-dog-buns

Attachments:
              You must be logged in to view attached files.
              BakerAunt
              Participant

On Saturday, I baked Oat-Flax Buns (recipe at KAF site) to use for Sloppy Josephines. I substituted in 3/4 cups of buttermilk for 3/4 of the water and omitted the special dried milk. I also reduced the honey to 2 Tbs., the yeast to 2 tsp., and the salt to 1 14 tsp. salt.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.