1/2 teaspoon salt
      1 cup cashews, chopped in chopper on coarse
      Glaze:
      1/2 cup powdered sugar
      1 1/2 tsp strawberry powder
      1-2 Tbsp milk or more if needed
      Mix together until smooth, drizzle over finished biscotti
      Directions:
      In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add strawberry powder and flavoring, beat well. Beat in the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each one. Stir in the lemon zest until well blended. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; stir strawberries and nuts into flour mixture. Add flour mixture into the batter. Blend well.
      Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
      Prepare a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or super parchment. I found using super parchment worked best to help form the logs.
      Plop the dough onto the prepared baking sheet using a bowl scraper. Shape it into one or two logs that are about 13" long x 3" wide x 3⁄4" thick. Straighten the log, and smooth its top and sides and square off the ends; a wet spatula or wet bowl scraper works well here. Wetting your hands helps form the log. Don't worry about the log being wet. That goes away in the oven.
      Bake the dough for 25-30 minutes. Make sure the top inside center of the loaf is done. Check temp on side and then in top center with instant read thermometer. The temperature should be the same, 210°F. Remove it from the oven, and allow it to cool on the pan anywhere from 10 to 25 minutes; just work it into the schedule of whatever else you’re doing in the kitchen. Reduce the oven heat to 300°F.
      Using a spray bottle filled with room-temperature water, lightly but thoroughly spritz the log, making sure to cover the sides as well as the top. Softening the crust just this little bit will make slicing the biscotti much easier.
      Wait another 5-7 minutes (this wait time is very important to allow for nice, even slices) then use a serrated knife to cut the log crosswise into 1⁄2" slices. As you’re slicing, be sure to cut straight up and down, perpendicular to the pan; if you cut unevenly, biscotti may be thicker at the top than the bottom, and they’ll topple over during their second bake.
      Set the biscotti upright on the prepared baking sheet with about 1/4" between the slices. Return the biscotti to the oven, and bake them for 30 to 35 minutes, till they feel very dry and are beginning to turn golden around the edges. Leave biscotti in the oven. Turn the oven off and prop the door open very slightly! After 1/2 hour, remove the biscotti from the oven, and allow them to cool on the baking sheet.
      When completely cool, biscotti can be glazed with glaze recipe above. Allow to sit and dry until glaze is firm. I let mine sit overnight. Store in air tight container.

Cindy's notes: Oh, Mumpy, you picked one of the more difficult recipes, but, you asked, I deliver.....
      The reason this one is difficult is because of the ingredients. I got the dried strawberries, strawberry powder and strawberry flavoring at swirth's favorite place (and now one of mine) nuts.com. Great place to do business with. Your order goes out the same day it's placed and you have it in no time. I have been very impressed with them.
      Now, chopping those strawberries is a nightmare.......unless you discover my 'secret'. I ran the dried strawberries through the nut chopper I bought from KAF! If they got a little clumpy, I added a few cashews and they cleaned right out. The nut chopper, on coarse, is the perfect size for the nuts in biscotti.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.