Silicone mats

Home Forums Sources Silicone mats

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I've been looking for a silpat that fits my 2/3 sheet pans for years. Well, I finally found one made by Winco (SBS-21PP) that is 14 7/16 x 20 1/2 and fits the pan perfectly. (It's purple, which is restaurant code for 'allergy free', but that's OK by me.) I'm looking forward to seeing how it affects bread, it should keep the bottom from getting overbaked.

My fall back option, and I'll probably order it anyway, was a 16 inch x 5 foot roll of silicone material with 1 inch grid marks on it, available on Amazon for around $20. It comes in red or blue. This is pure silicone and can be cut to shape to fit the pans you have, unlike the silpats which have fiberglass in them and cannot be cut.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

Much probably depends on the brand. I have been very happy with my smaller and larger Silpat mats that were made in France. As Mike notes, however, they are the type that cannot be cut or cut on.

The ones of Chinese origin that King Arthur sells have been less than satisfactory in that they are thinner and are harder to clean. I had to throw one away. The other one I only use when I make a braided bread, as it has the directions printed on it.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Well, I'm making honey wheat bread on the new mat this evening, we'll see how it does.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.