Semi-flopped Cake Question

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls Semi-flopped Cake Question

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Joan Simpson
    Participant

I made this cake like Mike did 1/2 version.Turned out real good,I baked it in 8 * pan and we had one good size layer for just the two of us.I iced it with left over red velvet icing just added some chocolate to that.Very good and I agree with Mike,it will make a good Boston cream pie.Thanks for the recipe Gail,I could have ate it plain also.

Italiancook
      Participant

You're welcome, Joan. I'm glad it was a success for you, too. I never thought of using red velvet icing with it. Will keep that in mind.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Which type of red velvet icing did you use?

Nina Beyt
          Participant

I'm going to try this cake. BTW, I just read that baking soda will last forever. Here's the link:
            https://food52.com/blog/12593-the-real-shelf-life-of-pantry-items-when-to-pay-attention-to-expiration-dates

More or less what I thought. And yes, "double acting baking powder" acts once when moisture is added, and then again when heat (oven) is applied. That's where the baking soda component of your cake kicked in, then dissipated too soon.

Still, I'm glad you had an issue to question because we now have a new recipe to try. Mike and Joanie loved it; I'm sure I will too.

Now stop replacing your baking soda, everyone!

Italiancook
            Participant

Nina, thanks for the link. It's good to know I don't have to replace baking soda every six months.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

Mike I used cream cheese,powder sugar,butter,a little crisco and vanilla with a splash of milk.for my red velvet cake.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

Yeah, that's the 'modern' frosting (which I prefer), the 'classic' one is the cooked flour frosting. I tried that once, must have done something wrong because it didn't taste very good.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Mike Nolan.
                  Italiancook
                  Participant

Mike and everyone else, below is my grandmother's recipe for white icing that uses cooked flour. It's a tried and true recipe. Easy to make. I use this frequently on chocolate cakes. I can't recall exactly, but I think it makes enough to ice a 2-layer 8" round cake. Can't be overly generous with the filling between layers, though. I usually make sheet cakes in my old timey, smaller pan. But I feel confident this would ice a modern 9" x 13" pan.

FLUFFY WHITE FROSTING

Mix together 2 tablespoon flour & 3/4 cup milk. Cook until thick. Cool. (I cook it until it just reaches the boiling stage, and declare it thick. I do not let it boil. I just want to see the first couple bubbles of boil then remove from heat. I use 1% milk. With whole milk, it may thicken before the boiling stage.)

Cream together 3/8 cup (6 tablespoons) butter (NOT margarine) & 3/8 cup Crisco and 3/4 cup granulated sugar.

Add cooled white sauce & 1 teaspoon vanilla to shortening & sugar. Beat until fluffy.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Italiancook.
                    Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Thanks Gail for the cooked frosting recipe,will give it a try.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

I haven't seen a lot of posts from Sarah Wirth lately, but she is also a fan of the cooked flour frosting, maybe she'll add her recipe to this thread when she has time.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

My wife ran this recipe through the recipe analyzer she uses, it came up at about 38.5 carbs per slice. Using all Splenda cuts that to about 20.

aaronatthedoublef
                          Participant

How strong is the buttermilk flavor here? I use powdered buttermilk all the time. I've tried substituting the real, liquid stuff in waffles and scones a couple times and my family did not like it.

I may try the boiled flour icing recipe. Looks interesting.

Thanks

cwcdesign
                            Participant

Hi Aaron, nice to see you here. I've been studying your thread on pizza as I finally started using my baking steel a few weeks ago. Only problem is it's too d*** hot to make pizza right now

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

It's fairly subtle, I don't know that I would have identified the cake as having buttermilk in it in a blind taste test.

I don't personally think powdered buttermilk and cultured liquid buttermilk are interchangeable. The powdered stuff doesn't have that acetic 'tang' to it.

aaronatthedoublef
                                Participant

You are correct. The powder does lack the tang. I think that is what my family does not like (I do but I have been out-voted). They do like my sour cream coffeecake however so maybe there is hope.

Thanks

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.