Rye/Semolina/Whole Wheat Buns

Home Forums Recipes Rye/Semolina/Whole Wheat Buns

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    RiversideLen
    Participant

Soft and delicious. This is also a good recipe to make into a braided loaf.

By weight,
      2 ounces Semolina
      3 ounces Rye flour (I use whole grain rye)
      4 ounces Whole Wheat flour (I use KA White Whole Wheat)
      5 ounces Bread Flour

3/4 teaspoon salt
      7 grams of Instant Yeast (1/4 ounce, a standard packet)
      8 ounces of warm Milk
      1 extra large egg
      3 tablespoons Veg Oil or butter (I use Olive oil)
      1 scant tablespoon of Honey

Put egg and yeast into mixing bowl, heat milk to about 100 degrees and put into mixing bowl. Add salt and flours, then honey and oil. Mix until it's all combined, cover and let rest about 20 minutes. Knead about 10 minutes using your stand mixer, adjust flour or liquid if needed, dough should be soft and compliant, not quite tacky (I usually end up adding a little water to it half way into the kneading.)

Pre heat oven to 375 degrees.

Transfer dough to a lightly oiled bowl, cover and let rise until doubled. This dough usually rises fairly fast. Then divide into 8 equal parts and form into buns, cover and let rise until doubled.

Bake in 375 degree oven for 14 minutes. They should look something like this.

IMG_0644

Cool on a rake. Store tightly covered.

If you make smaller buns, you may need to adjust the baking time.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

These look good. I need to try them.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by BakerAunt.
        BakerAunt
        Participant

I baked this recipe as buns. They were as soft as Len says and the taste is wonderful. My only changes is to proof active yeast with the honey in 1/4 cup water, replace the rest of the water with buttermilk, and add 2 tbs. special dried milk. This recipe kneads beautifully in a bread machine. (I do the rest without the machine.)

I've now baked it as an 8x4 braided loaf, using an 8x4-inch USA pan. I baked it at 375F for 38 minutes to 203F. The recipe should also work nicely as a free-form loaf.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.