• Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Pita Bread
      Submitted by frick on July 29, 2012 at 7:55 pm

This puffs reliably.
      Yield: 12 breads
      Source: Sunset Magazine

I have not used KA pita recipe if that is the one to which you are referring. I used to make pita from time to time and used the following recipe. They always puffed well even though all I had was supermarket flour and no talent. Real pita is not thicker on the bottom. It came from Sunset Magazine, a West Coast favorite with many ethnic recipes. Sunset introduced me to a world of new foods when all I knew how to make was banana bread and meatloaf!

Pita Sunset Magazine
      Yield: 12, 400F degrees; 9-10 minutes
      This was written for 30 years ago.

1 package yeast (today I would use 2 tsp. instant yeast)
      3 1/2 - 4 cups flour
      1 1/4 cups warm water
      2 tbsp. oil
      2 tsp salt
      1/4 tsp sugar (for proofing the yeast)

Proof the yeast for 10 minutes in the warm water with the sugar. (This step is not necessary if using instant yeast).

Make a moderately stiff dough with the remaining ingredients and knead 5 minutes. Let rise 45 minutes.
      Deflate and divide into 12 parts. Let rest 10 minutes.

Roll into 5 inch circles. Place 2 inches apart on baking sheet and let rise 20-30 minutes, or until puffy.

Bake at 400 degrees F for 9-10 minutes until puffed and golden brown. Butter tops as removed from oven and stack, covering with plastic wrap to preserve freshness. Do not store well. May be frozen.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.