1/4 cup Double Dutch process cocoa
      2 tsp baking powder
      3/4-1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
      1/3-1/2 cup hazelnuts minced fairly small
      Topping:
      1 egg, beaten
      1 Tbsp water
      Directions:
      Preheat oven to 375 F. Line baking sheet with parchment.

Cream together butter, sugar and Nutella until light and fluffy. Beat in hazelnut extract and eggs, one at a time. In separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa and baking powder and whisk or sift to combine. Stir the flour mixture into butter/sugar/egg mixture on low speed until well blended. Dough will be stiff.

Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.

Dough can be divided into 2 equal parts and put on prepared baking sheet, or you can leave it as one larger loaf. Form loaf (loaves) into log(s), using a bowl scraper or moist hands.

Beat egg and 1 Tbsp water together and brush top of loaf(loaves).

Place in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until instant read thermometer reads 210F on the side and in the center.of the loaf.

Remove from oven and allow to cool for at least 30 minutes or until it reaches room temperature.

Lower oven temperature to 300F.

When loaf is completely cool, mist the loaf with room temperature water and allow the loaf to rest for 5 minutes. This is important! This will help you cut the slices perfectly straight.

Slice the loaf diagonally into slices 1/2"-3/4" wide. I sliced mine between 1/4"-1/2" just so I would end up with more slices! Leave standing upright and separate slices by 1/2"-1".

Place baking sheet back into 300F oven and bake for additional 25-30 minutes until brownies are crisp.

Turn oven off and prop door open, leaving biscotti in the oven. When completely cooled, remove baking sheet from oven.

Biscotti can be glazed if desired. Store in cool, dry place in airtight container

I'm finishing these by dipping half in dark, bittersweet chocolate (my personal preference) with, maybe, some hazelnut extract just to follow through on the entire theme and then drizzling with white chocolate.

If you like Nutella, try these and let me know what you think. If you want a plain slightly unremarkable plain brownie biscotti, try the Penzey's recipe. It's a fairly good basic recipe.

Additional Notes by Cindy: Yay! Yay! Yay! I'm doing my happy dance! I finally got a recipe for Nutella Brownie Biscotti that ROCKS!! The original recipe for chocolate brownie biscotti was in this month's Penzeys catalog. I made the recipe exactly like it was printed for the first go around, but wax very disappointed. The texture was dry and crumbly. The taste was bland, not chocolatey like I had hoped. So, like every single one of you will understand, it was off to the drawing board.

I thought I could correct the crumbly, dry texture with more hydration. In comparing other biscotti recipes I found many with lemon juice, a vegetable juice or water in some form. So, I'll add water.

For the sweetness, more sugar, that's easy. But then..........what about getting the hydration and some of the sweetness from Nutella? And some hazelnuts? And hazelnut extract? See where this is going?

Yes! The recipe, with a couple more tiny tweaks, works! The final touch will be to dip half the biscotti in dark chocolate (maybe flavored with hazelnut extract) and drizzle the whole thing with white chocolate.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.