Lemon Curd by Mrs. Cindy

Home Forums Recipes Lemon Curd by Mrs. Cindy

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Lemon Curd

It is KAF's recipe for Easy Lemon Curd, with one tweak. I have used this recipe, with Meyer lemon juice, for the last couple of years. I have tweaked it every way you can imagine, but this final version is far and away the BEST. Read down through ALL my notes and tweaks. The more you read over this recipe, the easier it will be. If you have any problems, please let me know. I hate it when a recipe I've given out doesn't work right! ?

1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (see amount adjustment in my notes below)
      1 cup sugar
      1/2 cup (8 tablespoons, 1 stick) butter, melted
      2 large eggs
      Directions:
      1) Combine all of the ingredients in a large microwave-safe bowl. To avoid bubble-overs, the contents should fill no more than 1/4 of the bowl; an 8-cup measure works well here.

2) Microwave the ingredients in 1-minute increments, removing from the oven and stirring to combine after each minute.

3) When curd starts to thicken; coats the back of a spoon; and starts to mound a bit as you stir, it's done. This will take anywhere from 4 to 10 minutes, depending on the strength/power of your microwave.

4) Stir the curd one more time, cool slightly, STRAIN it into a storage container, and refrigerate until firm.

5) Keep curd refrigerated for up to 3 weeks; freeze for longer storage.

Yield: 2 cups lemon curd

2/12/14: most important change is I use a whisk for the entire process. I melted the butter and whisked it into the sugar before adding the lemon juice. I used frozen Meyer Lemon juice, thawed but cold, about 1 1/2 cups, 1 cup sugar, 1 stick of butter and 2 large eggs. I whisked the eggs before adding them to the butter/sugar/lemon mix. This time I set the microwave for 8 minutes and pressed start. I watched it like a hawk! Every minute I stopped the microwave and stirred the curd. After 8 minutes it was done. When I strained it there were no egg white bits. Looks good! Tastes better! I use a large Fage Yogurt container to store it in the fridge.
      NOTE: You MUST use an 8 cup glass measuring cup for this recipe. You will think it's going to boil over and it sure comes close, but if you watch carefully and stop the microwave every minute to stir, you will be okay. I have kept this curd in the fridge for several months, with no problem. I have never had enough to freeze it, so although KAF says it can be frozen, I've never tried it. I have, however, mailed it with great success! I put an ice pack in the bottom of the mailing carton, packed it tight with bubble wrap and sent it 'second day'. It arrived with no problems and tasted great.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.