Homemade Baking Powder

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls Homemade Baking Powder

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    cwcdesign
    Participant
      BakerAunt
      Participant

Ah, yes, CWCdesign. I saw the article also and was wondering if I'd have to start mixing my own. I had been checking every day at KAF, and today was the day.

aaronatthedoublef
        Participant

BA, what is the advantage of Bakewell baking powder? Aside from having or not having aluminum are different baking powders really different?

BakerAunt
          Participant

When I started using the Bakewell Baking Powder, my observation was that it gave a higher rise and that I could use less of it in recipes. I never subjected it to a scientific test, so that may be subjective. I also thought that other baking powder left a slight aftertaste.

Italiancook
            Participant

I don't recommend making your own baking powder unless you're desperate for baking powder. And even then, you have to be prepared in advance by having cream of tartar and baking soda on hand.

I have made my own baking powder since 2016 for medical reason. I can no longer use baking powder. You have to baby the cream of tartar. Food Network star and chef, Alex Guarnaschelli says cream of tartar must be stored dark. She covers her storage container in aluminum foil to keep out the light. I don't mix a batch of DIY baking powder in advance. I add baking soda and cream of tartar as needed to the dry ingredients. Because I have Xenson under the cabinet lights, the last thing I add is the the cream of tartar so the warm light doesn't alter it.

In addition, the baking soda has a short life after it's added to the liquid ingredients. That's mentioned in the article, and we've discussed that on this site. If I don't act quickly enough, the rise is adversely affected. In pancakes, it means the last of the pancakes will be flat, not fluffy and puffy like the first ones. I can see the difference in rise in go-to cake recipes now that I'm making my own baking powder. They're thinner than they were when I could use baking powder.

Mike gave me a great source for cream of tartar -- bulkfoods.com. I don't know if they have survived the pandemic, but I hope so. I buy the cream of tartar by the pound, and it lasts me about 18 months. The internet claims it has a long shelf life if kept away from light, heat, and moisture.

aaronatthedoublef
              Participant

IC thanks for the info on baking powder. It's handy to be able to make it if I need it and cannot buy it. I also had no idea I needed to keep cream of tartar away from the light. It is tucked away but that is more because we keep it with our spices and they are all tucked in a drawer.

For pancakes try reducing the liquid a bit. They thicken and hold it longer if they are a little tighter. The downside to this is that they will not bubble through to tell you when to flip them so it involves some experimentation.

Italiancook
                Participant

Aaron, Chef Alex keeps her cream of tartar in a drawer, too. She showed us it during the show. Even though it's in a drawer, she said the cream of tartar bottle needs to be covered in aluminum foil. FWIW Thanks for the tip on the pancakes!

cwcdesign
                  Participant

Thanks Italian Cook - the article kind of surprised me because I thought if it were a real “thing” that a lot of people did, we would have heard more about it. I understand the necessity for you and am glad it’s available. I guess before it was available commercially folks were making their own versions.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Thank you for the detailed discussion, Italian Cook. Given the time it takes me to get batter into a Bundt pan, the homemade stuff would have no oomph left.

KIDPIZZA
                      Participant

MARLISS & AARON:
                        Good early morning again. IF YOU WISH FURTHER INFO ON BAKING POWDER GO TO GOOGLE & type in ROSE LEVY BIRINBAUMS BAKING POWDER BLOG...the first selection should do it for you & AARON.

I have all her stuff in my computer but I longer have much patience with people & in general...sooo I did it this way in order not to search. So much to learn from her studies in baking science.

Good morning to all.

~KIDPIZZA... CASS.

aaronatthedoublef
                        Participant

Cass - Thank you. I'm looking at Rose Levy Birinbaum's website now. I've been using the Cake Bible for 25 years now. I knew she had a pie bible too and apparently a bread bible and a baking bible as well.

IC - one note I left out from pancake making is I've started to sift the dry ingredients. They absorb liquid better and reduces lumps and mixing.

It's interesting. KAF and Alton Brown give very different advice. Alton Brown says to mix the batter and use it right away to take advantage of the baking soda lift which is why minimal mixing is important as it agitates the glutens. KAF says to let the pancake batter rest for at least 10 minutes and even overnight to relax the gluten. I use pastry flour so there is less gluten and sift to reduce mixing. So take my advice with a grain of salt.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.