High School Peanut Butter Bars by Mumpy

Home Forums Recipes High School Peanut Butter Bars by Mumpy

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

High School Peanut Butter Bars
      Submitted by mumpy on June 16, 2011 at 8:21 am

Chewy peanut butter bars with chocolate frosting; recipe courtesy of cafeteria ladies in 1964
      Yield: 50 bars

3 cups flour
      3 tsp baking powder
      3/4 tsp salt
      3/4 cup shortening
      3/4 cup brown sugar
      2 cups sugar
      1 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
      5 eggs
      2 tsp vanilla
      your favorite chocolate frosting

Combine flour, baking powder, salt; set aside. Beat shortening, sugars, and peanut butter till light; beat in eggs one at a time; add vanilla. Stir in dry ingredients.

Spread batter in 2 lightly greased 10 x 15 pans; bake at 350 for 15 minutes. While still hot, spread with chocolate frosting.

Cut when cool into bars, 3" by 2".

Comments
      Submitted by uninvited-guest on Sat, 2011-06-18 00:32.
      Oh yeah... Just what my sister and I have been looking for. We really missed these when the "new formula" of the peanut butter bars was put in place with the schools. Don't get me wrong, the "new" ones with the oatmeal are delicious, but these are the quintessential ones for us growing up. Thank you mumpy!

Submitted by dachshundlady on Wed, 2011-06-22 06:05.
      Wow, these look good and would serve a lot of folks. I have an agility trial this weekend and we usually bring food. Might have to try these.

Submitted by bellesaz on Sun, 2011-06-26 11:28.
      I was traveling back from Montana several years back and we had my in-laws from Australia with us. They love garage sales and yard sales and we had stopped at like our third one of the day. I happened to spy a notebook with a lot of handwritten recipes in it and it was .50 cents, so I just paid for it without really delving too deeply inside.

In the car, the in-laws were asleep in the back, so I started thumbing through this book. There were a ton of old recipes on beautiful stationary, cut outs from flour sacks, sugar bags and the like, and then there were dozens of recipes that looked commercial. I quickly realized that they were from the Ennis Montana High School Lunchroom Ladies. What a treasure!!

One of my very favorites are the Lunchlady Rolls. I had to scale down the recipe from 300, but that was easy enough to do.. my family absolutely loves them and they bake up large, light and fluffy.. it sure brought back a lot of memories!

Submitted by uninvited-guest on Sun, 2011-06-26 16:34.
      Please put me in your will for that little gem... unless your families have already got dibbs! (My family would)...

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by BakerAunt. Reason: Forgot to include o.p.'s name
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.