Hamburger Buns Part Deux by Bellesaz

Home Forums Recipes Hamburger Buns Part Deux by Bellesaz

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Hamburger Buns Part Deux
      Submitted by bellesaz on January 23, 2011 at 10:15 pm

I call these part deux (or the less fancy term, Part II) because this is the second round of "tweaking" that I have put on these buns. The first buns came out a bit on the dense side and I was looking for that soft roll consistency, something lighter. These buns are gorgeous.. not as soft as the empty flavored bun from the grocery store.. but pillow soft and delicious. They hold up well to a hamburger and all the fixings, but soft enough to give that sliced turkey a fluffy pillow of bread to nestle within.. I think I have achieved bun nirvana with these and I hope you enjoy them. I've also used this dough to make a loaf of bread, dinner rolls and even Cinnamon Buns. It's very versatile and an easy recipe. You don't need a hamburger bun pan for these!

Yield: 16 Buns
      Source: http://www.loavesandladles.blogspot.com/

6 ounces lukewarm water
      6 ounces of lukewarm milk
      2 large eggs
      2 ounces butter, softened
      2 ounces, sugar
      4 teaspoons instant yeast
      2 teaspoons salt
      11.5 ounces Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
      11.5 ounces Unbleached Bread Flour
      1 egg, beaten with 1 TBS water, or 3 TBS melted butter for the tops

1. Using the paddle attachment of a KitchenAid, combine all of the dough ingredients, and mix on Speed 2 of the mixer for about 1-2 minutes or until just combined. Let dough rest in the mixer for 10 minutes. Switch out to the dough hook then mix and knead the dough for about 8 minutes. Dough will stick to the bottom of the mixer, but should not be dry.

2) Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover lightly with plastic wrap, and let it rise in a warm place until doubled - at least an hour, maybe longer. Don't rush the rising time.

3) Turn the dough out onto a lightly greased surface, flatten it slightly, and divide it into 16 pieces, each weighing about 3 1/2 to 4 ounces.

4) Roll each piece into a tight ball and using a floured hand, gently flatten them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. If the dough needs a few minutes to rest, it will cooperate a bit easier.

6) Cover and let rise until the buns have doubled in size. About another hour. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 375°F.

7) Combine egg and water and lightly brush each bun. Sprinkle your favorite topping on immediately before baking. If you like a softer bun, skip the egg wash and brush each bun with melted butter just after baking.

8) Bake the buns, one pan at a time for 10 minutes. Rotate the pan and bake for about 6 minutes more. Cool on a wire rack.

comments
      Submitted by rubyMT on Wed, 2011-02-09 14:46.
      Hi,
      Would love to make your recipe. Have been dying to find a great hamburger-hot dog buns recipe...I do not have bread flour though (and not sure that I can easily get my hands on it). Can I just use AP flour for the recipe^
      Thanks.

Submitted by bellesaz on Wed, 2011-02-16 14:14.
      Sorry Ruby, my post ended up down at the bottom and not under your post.. please read my comments regarding the bread flour

Submitted by annzie on Wed, 2011-02-09 22:17.
      Thanks, bellesaz. Looking good. Some day it will be grilling season again... I will definitely make these.

Submitted by bellesaz on Wed, 2011-02-16 14:15.
      Annzie.. these make great dinner rolls or sandwich buns too. Someone I know used the dough to make bread!

Submitted by Devannie on Sat, 2011-02-12 15:47.
      I've tried several other bun recipes and they always turn out dense and heavy, will try this and see if they turn out for me!

Submitted by bellesaz on Wed, 2011-02-16 14:13.
      Devannie,
      Two tips to help you in all your bread baking.. buns or otherwise.

#1 - weigh your flour. Don't measure. Most cooks who use measuring cups are adding too much flour when they think they are measuring out by the cup. Too much flour to water/hydration will make any bread dense and heavy.

#2 - make sure you're kneading all the way through. Your dough should pass a "window pane" test. Wet your hands, pull out a chunk of your dough and slowly spread it out with your fingers. If you get a thin membrane that you can see light behind.. your dough is fully kneaded and ready. If you do this and your dough tears, or does not feel silky, you need to knead your dough more.

I wish you luck!

Submitted by bellesaz on Wed, 2011-02-16 14:10.
      I suppose you could use AP flour, Ruby.. my grandmother did. Back then, they didn't have bread flour. However, you may hold back just a touch of the liquid. This dough is extremely sticky. It should clear the sides of a mixing bowl, but the dough may never really lift off the bottom of your bowl.
      Go for it, why not!

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.