German Walnut Cakes (Cookies) by cwalde

Home Forums Recipes German Walnut Cakes (Cookies) by cwalde

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

German Walnut Cakes--cookies
      Submitted by cwalde on October 20, 2004 at 1:21 pm

This recipe is special to me because it is one of the first great cookie recipes I found after becoming a new wife. I've had it for nearly 30 years. It is very unusual in that it is a cut out cookie that has both chocolate on the bottom and glaze on the top with a walnut for decoration. It's sure to make some fans for you. The recipe doesn't make many cookies so I would recommend making a double batch. It's really delicious. Hope you enjoy! --Recipe from Diamond Walnut Recipe book. Cheryl

1 1/4 c sifted all-purpose flour
      1/3 c granulated sugar
      1/2 c butter
      2 T milk
      1/2 t vanilla
      1/2 c chopped walnuts
      1 to 1 1/2 c walnut halves and large pieces

Glaze
      1/3 c dark brown sugar, packed
      1/3 c light corn syrup

Glaze:
      4 oz. semi-sweet or milk chocolate

Combine flour and sugar. Cut in butter until particles are very fine. Sprinkle milk and vanilla over mixture and mix to a stiff dough. Mix in chopped walnuts.

Roll 1/4 inch thick on lightly floured board and cut into rounds. Place on ungreased baking sheet and cover each cookie with walnut halves or large pieces, pressing them lightly into dough.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes until edges are very lightly browned.

Remove to wire rack and set on baking sheet. Drizzle tops with hot Glaze. Cool.

Top Glaze: Combine brown sugar and corn syrup in small saucepan; stir over moderate heat until sugar is dissolved. Boil 1 minute.

Bottom Glaze: Melt chocolate over warm (not hot) water. Spread bottom of each cookie with chocolate and place on waxed paper until chocolate is set. Makes 1 to 3 1/2 dozen cookies depending on size. (Entire recipe will make 1 dozen 3" cookies, 2 dozen 2", or 3 1/2 dozen 1 1/2" rounds)

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.