Extra Large Sheet Pan

Home Forums General Discussions Extra Large Sheet Pan

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

After baking my Rosetta Rolls, I decided that I would either need to do them next time as two batches or buy a larger pan. King Arthur has a heavy, extra-large sheet pan 15x20 1/2 inches, and I was thinking of taking advantage of their sale. (I could find enough to get the 20% discount.) However, the pan is rated to 450F, and the Rosetta rolls bake at 500F. A couple of posters also mentioned that the pans warp at high heat.

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a pan of this size that would be ale to withstand higher heat. I'm not sure where to look.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I have 3/4 sized sheet pans (they're about 15 3/4 by 21 3/4) that I get from a restaurant supply store in Pittsburgh (Penn Fixture and Supplies), they are on the web and do mail order. Never had them warp on high heat. Vollrath pans should work in high heat, too. You want pans with an edge that's rolled around a wire frame, that keeps them from warping.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Thanks, Mike. I checked, and they do not have that size. I did some googling and find that a 2/3 sheet pan seems to be the size that is being sold. (15x21). I note that it also comes in different gauges, and the higher the number (and thinner the sheet), the cheaper it is. I want a heavier baking sheet, like the large flat Vollrath ones I own. Those came from the cooking.com site that was bought by some other company and cannibalized. (I miss them.)

Webresraurant has one for $7.88, but it is 18 gauge.

Amazon has a 15x21 for $15.81. The description does not specify, but a reviewer comments that it is 10 gauge.

My experience is that heavier pans bake better with less overbrowning on the bottom.

Italiancook
          Participant

BakerAunt, I don't know whether this source has what you need, but . . .

. . . . I purchased Chicago Metallic (I think) 1/4 sheet pans & a 4 quart dough bucket from: wasserstrom.com

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

These look like they may be similar to the pans I have:
              16x22 sheet pan

One of the problem with the 2/3 and 3/4 size pans is that nobody seems to make a raised grid/cooling rack designed to fit in them.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Here is the Vollrath pan I am considering:

It weighs 1 lbs, while the one in your link weighs 2.2 lbs., even though the description on the 2.2 lb. says that it is 18 gauge. The one in your link is also a bit larger.

This is one of those times when I wish that I could hold the pan in my hands.

BakerAunt
                Participant

I found this fact sheet--which does not even mention 3/4 or 2/3 sheet pans:

http://images.cooksdirect.com/Buying_Guides/Sheet-Pans_Buying-Guide.pdf

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

2/3 and 3/4 sized pans are not that common, but the 3/4 pan fits my big oven much better than a full sheet pan does, because there's almost no room for the air to circulate around a full sheet pan.

RiversideLen
                    Participant

I have a 16x24 pan that came with a rack. It fits so tight in the oven I've never used it, I'm afraid that it will expand as it heats up and fuse itself to the oven walls. I looked at the pan in Mike's link for the 16x22 pan and decided to get it.

aaronatthedoublef
                      Participant

Sorry. I am late to this. For what it's worth I have Costco but they only have half, quarter, and full and they usually come in packs.

But they were pretty cheap when I bought them 25 years ago and they do not bend or warp under high heat (I've taken them up to 750).

Mike and BA, thanks for the quick lessons in what to look for in better sheet pans.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

So much was cheaper and better made 25 years ago. I still have my sideless Calphalon nonstick baking sheets, although I almost never use them anyore, as the light colored and heavier Vollrath cookie sheets work much better. The Calphalon sheets made in America were slightly thicker and baked more evenly than those made after the move to China. A fellow baker had the same observation.

I am still dithering over which sheet pan to buy, especially as I would like to buy two for certain recipes.

aaronatthedoublef
                          Participant

Interesting. I have two sets of sheet pans bought at Costco about a year apart. The first batch was from Korea and the second from China. Even though they have the same listed dimensions on the bottom the Korean pans are slightly larger. Other than that they have been functionally the same.

My wife bought me a KitcheAid half sheet and quarter sheet set from Williams Sonoma that had to be pretty spendy. The quarter sheet is okay because of its small size I think. The half sheet buckles EVERY TIME even at 300 degrees.

RiversideLen
                            Participant

My Winware 16x22 pan arrived yesterday (the one from Mike's link). It appears solid and well made. I put it on the kitchen scale and it comes in at 2 pounds, 4 3/8 ounces. It feels like my Nordic Ware half sheets. I did a little research and found the Nordic Ware is 20 gauge and I have had no issues with them with baking performance (cookies) nor with warping. I found a healthy oatmeal cookie on Martha Stewart's site yesterday (it uses oil, not butter) and intend to make it today. I will bake them on my new Winware pan and report back.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

The next time I'm in Pittsburgh I'll probably try to make a trip to Penn Fixtures and Supplies, and I'll see if they still carry a 3/4 sheet pan. I suspect the ones they had were Winware, but it has been several years since I bought one.

I've been looking at flip boards lately, they seem to come in two sizes, 18 inch and 24 inch.

RiversideLen
                                Participant

The cookies baked up perfectly, the pan did not warp in the oven.

sheetPan2

Attachments:
                                  You must be logged in to view attached files.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.