Extra Large Sheet Pan

Home Forums General Discussions Extra Large Sheet Pan

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Thanks for sharing your test information, Len. I appreciate your baking cookies in the interest of science!

I did some measuring. The Vollrath pan would fit my oven better, with the 20x15 dimensions. the 16 inches would take the pan all the way to the door and not leave much room on the sides. I suspect an error in their height measurement of 2.5 inches; that is probably cm. which would equate to 1 inch, since what is pictured is clearly a sheet pan, and that is what the reviewers state.

The Winware at 21.75x16 would not allow enough air circulation.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Not sure where I read it, but I think you want at least a half inch on the front and back (the back rack usually gives you that) and an inch on each side wall. Having a true circulation fan (with separate air inlets and outlets) would impact that, but I'm pretty sure all the 'convection' fan in my big oven does is blow air across the top. That's probably enough to encourage more circulation providing there are adequate air channels around the pans.

About the only thing I use the convection setting for is for the first 10-15 minutes of pies, then I drop the temp and put it on regular oven mode. I find the time at a higher temp (and with the fan on) gets the crust properly done.

RiversideLen
        Participant

That's what I do, BakerAunt, that's what I do, lol.

The pan gives me more than an inch front and back and about an inch on the sides, so I wouldn't want to go any bigger.

That's an excellent idea for the pie crust, Mike, I wish I had known about that sooner. I'm gonna give it a try next time.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

We used a roll-in convection oven for my SFBI pastry course and the instructions they gave us have you do it in a convection oven, but I find it works better if I do just the first half or so on convection mode. I often put a pie shield on top after the changeover to keep the edges from getting too dark.

It took me about a half dozen pies to work out the settings that work best for me. Every oven is just a little different.

BakerAunt
            Participant

I went ahead and ordered two of the Volrath pans. I will post back with a review once they arrive and I test bake them.

BakerAunt
              Participant

I finally got around to baking with my two new Vollrath pans for the first time. They worked very well for my Rye and Barley Crispbread. I did have to reduce baking time by 5 minutes, as they are not as heavy as my flat baking sheets. It was nice not to have the crackers hanging off the side of the pan. I hope to try the pans out soon with the Rosetta rolls and some other bread recipes.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.