Dinner roll recipe?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls Dinner roll recipe?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    kimbob
    Participant

Anyone have a fav good dinner roll recipe that doesn't make more than a dozen? Thanks.

Spread the word
      kimbob
      Participant

I'm going to try the kaf pull apart butter buns. I like that potato flour is used which will make them tender.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Sorry I'm late to the topic, but Hamelman's soft butter rolls are excellent. My personal favorite for dinner rolls remains Parker House rolls, but they're a lot of work.

BakerAunt
          Participant

I like to make Ellen's (formerly Moonie) buns as rolls, usually dividing the dough into 16 pieces and baking in a 10x10 pan.

Italiancook
            Participant

Since you only want 12, I suggest English Batter Buns from Taste of Home. Here's the link: https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/english-batter-buns/
              They're good using the shortening called for in the recipe. They're excellent substituting 1/2 cup butter for the 1/2 cup shortening. I've made them both ways for guests and never had a complaint when using shortening.

Have you considered making more than a dozen rolls and freezing the extras? I buy cheap sandwich bags & put one roll in each bag, then put all of them in a freezer bag. When I want a roll or two, I take them from both bags and microwave them. You'd have to experiment with your microwave, but in mine, one roll is adequate defrosted in 25 seconds; two rolls in 50 seconds. To thaw out more, you'd need to put them in foil and place in heated oven. I don't know the particulars of temperature or time, but I've seen KABC state this. A call to their Hotline or message on the website might clarify this for you.

Like Mike, my favorite rolls are Parker House. They are time intensive but oh so worth the effort. My second favorite are Butterhorn. I use the recipe in a Mennonite cookbook.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Italiancook.
              cwcdesign
              Participant

25 minutes seems like an awful lot of time in the microwave, ItalianCook. When I thaw an English muffin or bagel (granted it's to put in the toaster). I do it for around 25 seconds wrapped in paper towel and it does the trick to thaw them.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I suspect she meant 25 seconds, not 25 minutes.

Italiancook
                  Participant

Thanks for catching my major mistake, cwdesign. Mike is right, I meant seconds, NOT minutes. I have corrected my post.

kimbob
                    Participant

Thanks BakerAunt, I'll look up the Hamelman recipe. I'm actually making mommies buns today. Italiancook, I printed out the taste of home recipe to try. Thank you. I really don't like freezing buns so usually make 1/2 a recipe so we can eat them fresh. I do want to try the kaf pull aparts, too, and will make half the recipe. Thank you all.

S_Wirth
                      Participant

This is a recipe many loved on the oldBC. First podted by lsb and adapted by MrsM for dough in bread machine:

Best In Show Dinner Rolls
                        Submitted by MrsM on December 01, 2009 at 9:57 am

DESCRIPTION
                        Best in Show Dinner Rolls

SUMMARY
                        Yield 0 File under Yeast Bread/Rolls (not sourdough)

INSTRUCTIONS
                        This recipe took Best In Show at the 2007 Hunterdon County Fair in New Jersey. It is from Southern Living, February 1990, and originally posted by LSB. I have modified that recipe and use a bread machine.

The dough is VERY wet, but it does work into very sticky balls.

BEST EVER YEAST ROLLS

16 rolls

1 cup water (8 ounces)
                        1 stick unsalted butter
                        1 egg
                        2 ounces sugar (1/3 cup)
                        1/2 teaspoon salt
                        16 ounces KAF AP flour (3 1/2 cups using 4.5 ounces to equal 1 cup)
                        2 teaspoons instant yeast

Layer the ingredients in the order listed above in your ABM. Process on dough cycle.

Turn dough out onto a greased surface and fold dough over onto itself several times. Divide dough into 16 parts, about 2 ounces per piece. Shape dough into balls and place balls into a greased 10-inch square pan. If using the egg wash, line the pan with 2 sheets of overlapping parchment paper that comes up both sides, as the egg wash runs and sticks to the pan. Very messy to clean up. : )

Place in microwave, no heat or steam, and let rise 30 minutes. Or cover with a something larger so the cover does not touch the rolls and let rise.

After the 30 minute rise, begin preheating oven to 325 degrees. Just before baking, brush the tops with egg wash and sprinkle with your choice of seeds, or no seeds.

Bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes, then turn up the heat to 375 degrees and bake for 13 minutes (while oven is preheating, count that as in the 13 minutes). Or you can experiment baking at a higher temperature and check after 20-25 minutes. I baked them for 30 minutes once, and they were too done, came out a bit dry but still very good. The rolls should be a nice mahogany brown from the egg wash when they are done.

kimbob
                        Participant

Hiya, Swirth! Thanks for the recipe. Now I have a bunch to try. I'm over Grands although my husband likes them. Lol

cwcdesign
                          Participant

Glad I could help, ItalianCook!

Italiancook
                            Participant

Now that I know you prefer fresh not frozen rolls, kimbob, I thought of my Angel Biscuit recipe. It's a refrigerator dough. The instructions say the dough can be refrigerated for up to 5 days and fresh biscuits baked as needed. That reminded me that I've seen recipes like that for dinner rolls. I had to search to find the links below, and I've never made either of these. They both say dough can be refrigerated for 5 days to bake-off as needed. I wonder, kimbob, if the KABC recipe below is the same one you decided on. since it also have potato flour. FWIW, KABC also has a recipe for refrigerator dough for hard rolls.

https://whatscookingamerica.net/Bread/refrigeratorroll.htm

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/refrigerator-dough-for-quick-soft-rolls-recipe

kimbob
                              Participant

Italiancook, those look great! I like the fact you can keep the dough in the fridge and bake as you need it. That'll make it easier on Thanksgiving day. Thanks for looking them up for me!

Italiancook
                                Participant

You're welcome. I hope one or both recipes work out for you. When we've had weekend guests, I've used the refrigerated biscuit dough for both breakfasts and then again early in the week for just us. So I hope this works out for you. Happy Baking!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.