Daily Quiz for February 3, 2020

Home Forums Followups to Daily Quizzes Daily Quiz for February 3, 2020

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

What’s the difference between cream cheese and mascarpone?

[See the full post at: Daily Quiz for February 3, 2020]

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

I knew this one from watching Giada along time ago.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I didn't know, so I googled it rather than guessing. I don't know if I've ever eaten it, unless it was in a special dessert when I was eating out. It does sound delicious.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Because it is made just from cream it is pretty high in fat, and also expensive.

Italiancook
            Participant

What makes it overly expensive for me is its short shelf life after opened. Three or four days. I can't use it up in such a short time. Maybe I've had a container that said to discard after five days, but I'm uncertain about that. Having said that, I have to say:

Mascarpone makes a wonderful tomato cream sauce for rigatoni. I add some to hot red tomato sauce and stir. If the sauce isn't as light and creamy-looking as I want, I add more mascarpone. If I have frozen peas, I toss in a few peas. Pasta tastes great that way. Mostly what I use mascarpone for is for parfaits. I prep sliced strawberries with sugar the day before. I layer strawberries, room temp mascarpone, etc. until parfait glass is full. It's a luxurious eating experience, but the mascarpone needs to be room temp. If I have angel food cake or sweet cream biscuits, I'll make them a light layer -- light in quantity, not calories.

Mike, I always develop pop quiz anxiety when you post Italian-related questions. It puts my moniker to the test.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Italiancook.
              Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I prefer whole milk cheeses to part-skim ones. I can get 5 pound bags of mozzarella at Sams, but I have to go to the one on the other side of town, the one closer to us doesn't carry the whole-milk one. I divide it into 10 ounce packages and freeze it, mozzarella freezes very well.

I tend to buy 3 pound packages of whole milk ricotta there, too, and the last two times I did that I wound up throwing between a third and a half of it away because I didn't use it before it went bad. Ricotta turns grainy when frozen, according to the web.

BakerAunt
                Participant

I am grateful for Mike's tip that mozzarella can be frozen. I buy one that is made with part skim milk, and cut it into 4 oz. chunks, wrap each in saran, pop into a bag and freeze. That way I always have cheese for pizza (just have to remember to thaw it!). For my pizza, I cut the cheese into small cubes and sprinkle evenly on top.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by BakerAunt.
                  Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I buy the shredded kind, you can break it up while it is still frozen and sprinkle it on pizza.

RiversideLen
                    Participant

I usually buy shredded mozzarella because it's easier (and yes, it does melt!). When I buy it in a chunk, I like to run it through my KA food grinder for pizza, I really like it that way.

aaronatthedoublef
                      Participant

I had landlords who made their own mascarpone from ricotta. I am sorry I never had them show me how to do it.

I just had a conversation this weekend about freezing mozzarella. I usually buy it 10 pounds at a time in one pound block (loaves?) and keep it in the freezer. I thaw it and use it as we need it. I have yet to find a shredded mozzarella that my wife likes but I've frozen both. The woman checking me out didn't know you could freeze mozzarella which led to a discussion of freezing cheddar (which does not work for me).

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

Lower fat cheeses apparently freeze better than higher fat cheeses.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

My mother always told me not to freeze Parmesan because "it changes character" when frozen. I often froze her turkey tetrazzini casserole, but I waited until I defrosted it and was ready to put it into the oven before I put the grated Parmesan on top.

skeptic7
                            Participant

I froze cheddar, the last time by accident, and while the taste is the same, the cheese becomes more brittle and harder to plane. It doesn't make a difference for pizza but the slices tend to break so grilled cheese sandwiches are harder to make.

navlys
                              Participant

I have frozen mascarpone before and used it in a tiramisu recipe after defrosting it. No problemo.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.