Converting a Muffin Recipe to a Bread Recipe (2 threads)

Home Forums Threads Saved from the KAF Baking Circle Converting a Muffin Recipe to a Bread Recipe (2 threads)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

First Thread:
      Converting a Muffin Recipe to a Bread Recipe

The back page of the Winter 2013 Baking Sheet has a recipe for Glazed Lemon Muffins. I'd like to make glazed lemon bread instead. Does anyone know if there's a conversion for this? Or do I just change the cooking time (necessary in this case)? I did a search on the net and didn't find anything.
      Thx,
      C
      posted by: Cindy56 on January 06, 2013 at 6:10 pm in Q & A

reply by: jsraiona on January 07, 2013 at 5:53 am
      By bread I assume you mean going the muffins as a loaf. I do this often by baking it in a standard 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 by 2 3/4 inch loaf pan. As for the baking time, a lot of that depends on how hot your oven runs but I would recomend starting with 40 minutes and check it at that point. Hope this helps.

reply by: swirth on January 07, 2013 at 7:58 am
      Reply by swirth on December 27, 2011 at 12:11 pm Here's some good info I posted in a past thread that should help you:

Reply by swirth on August 18, 2011 at 7:13 am
      Many years ago, I cut off the package back of a box of muffin/quickbread mix I'd bought for a special order for a customer. I doctored it up a lot but the directions for muffins and quick breads were valuable to me for going from muffins to quick breads and the other way around.

The muffins baked at 400F for 15-20 min. Used 1/3 cup oil. Made 12 muffins.

The quickbread used 3 Tbsp. oil. It gave 3 pan sizes and bake times and the baking temp was 375F.

8 x 4" pan bake for 45-55 min.
      9 x 5" pan bake for 40-50 min.
      (3) 3 x 5" loaf pans bake for 35-45 min.

Hope this gives you some good ideas.

reply by: mumpy on January 07, 2013 at 3:20 pm
      I've had good results doing this, using swirth's times.....I don't change the recipe at all, just the pan....the other thing that i think works well is to lower the oven temp 25 degrees for the loaf, or it gets too dry at the edges by the time the middle is cooked.
      I've reversed this too, making muffins from a quick bread recipe and upping the temp 25 degrees......keep notes on what you changed so you don't have to re-invent the wheel if you decide to do it again (if you don't recognize it, that's the voice of experience!).

reply by: Cindy56 on January 12, 2013 at 6:59 pm
      Thanks for all the help and suggestions everyone!
      CP 🙂

Second Thread:
      Changing a Recipe

I'm thinking of trying the following Eggnog Muffin recipe but baking it in a Christmas Nordic Ware mini-loaf pan (makes 8 little cakes--a 6-cup pan):
      http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/easy-holiday-eggnog-muffins-recipe

I notice that the recipe bakes at 425, and that is hotter than what is used for quick breads. I assume part of the reason for the high temperature is to get "doming" on the muffins, but since these cakes have the design on the bottom, that is not what I want. Any thoughts about just lowering the temperature by 50F or so? I would also bake them 25-30 min.

I could always use another recipe, but I thought these might be a nice breakfast treat. I have also e-mailed the Baker's Hotline, and I will report back on what they say.
      posted by: bakeraunt on December 12, 2014 at 2:34 pm in General discussions

reply by: bakeraunt on December 12, 2014 at 7:15 pm
      Ah, I found this handy forum topic from Swirth:
      I'm in business! [Note: I've included that thread above this one]

reply by: Livingwell on December 13, 2014 at 8:29 am
      Those muffins look good! Every year we buy the lactose-free eggnog, and every year we end up throwing away most of it because we don't drink it all. Those muffins would take care of any leftover. Swirth's chart about pans and bake times is very helpful and I've bookmarked it.
      I read somewhere that to get nicely domed muffins, you should preheat the oven to 425, put the muffins in and immediately lower the temp to 350. I've never tried it, but am interested in seeing what the hotline has to say.

reply by: bakeraunt on December 13, 2014 at 1:04 pm
      The comment about putting muffins in at 425 then reducing the heat to get the doming was from Kid Pizza. It is mentioned in the thread we put together telling of our appreciation for him.
      The hot line person suggested not reducing the temperature more than 25F. However, that answer was posted this morning, and I was determined to make them last night, so I forged ahead.
      I actually reduced the temperature to 350F, since the Nordic Ware pans are heavy (and used some sour eggnog). I put it in a Nordic Ware Christmas loaf pan (eight small loaves) and baked for 30 minutes, then left them in the pan for 15 minutes before turning them out. They came out great! I had one of the little loaves for breakfast, and they taste great. I did substitute in 1/2 Cup of whole wheat pastry flour, since I think that makes muffins more tender.

reply by: Livingwell on December 13, 2014 at 1:50 pm
      Well, if KidPizza said it, it must be true - LOL! Glad to hear everything worked out for you!

reply by: swirth on December 13, 2014 at 2:00 pm
      I've posted many times here info I have always used when baking many thousands of cupcakes for husband's classroom kids...fill the muffin papers or pan wells brim full and they dome beautifully. I have given a link to a Prepared Pantry article that states this is exactly how to get the domes so I know this works for many besides me. I'll see if I can find the thread with the Prepared Pantry link and will add it to this post if I find it.

reply by: PaddyL on December 13, 2014 at 10:55 pm
      I think it was Antilope who told us that leaving the muffin batter in the fridge overnight will give you great domes when you bake them next day. I had been asking if it would be all right to bake 6 muffins in my little oven, then bake the other six after they'd been sitting out. It worked; the second 6-muffin batch rose much higher than the first.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.