Caramel by Reagan

Home Forums Recipes Caramel by Reagan

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Caramel
      Submitted by reagan on August 26, 2006 at 6:11 pm

This recipe is from "Making Homemade Candy", by Glenn Andrews. Mr. Andrews has provided the following tips for making caramel: caramel is adversely affected by even small amounts of moisture in the air, so you have to wrap each little candy in plastic wrap.
      However, I make the caramel in bulk about a month before the farmer market season actually begins. Once it is cooled I cut, weigh, and wrap each 12 oz. piece in plastic wrap. I store in the fridge, however, I have frozen it too.

In addition, I make this caramel using fresh organic cream that I purchase from a nearby Amish farm. However, the recipe is provided in its original context.

2 cups sugar
      1/2 cup corn syrup
      1 1/2 cups medium cream
      4 T. butter, plus more for greasing a baking pan
      1 1/4 tsp. vanilla

Cook the sugar, corn syrup, cream and the 4 tablespoons of butter in a medium-sized saucepan, stirring often, to the firm-ball stage (246 degrees F).

Remove from the stove and stir in the vanilla. Pour onto a well buttered marble slab or baking tin.
      (I've never used the marble slab method).

When thoroughly cold, cut into small squares and wrap each in a little piece of plastic wrap.
      NOTE: for the caramel pecan pie (see recipe) you will need 12 ounces.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.