Thu. Oct 1st, 2026

Mike Nolan

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 5,506 through 5,520 (of 8,095 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: What are you Baking the week of December 1, 2019? #19737
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

      Shaping them is trickier than it seems, some came out looking pretty good, others look a bit lopsided, and the ends got a bit messy. They're a little bigger than I thought they might be, I got 14 of them from a half batch so they're pretty close to the size the recipe calls for.

      image05

      Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      in reply to: What are you Baking the week of December 1, 2019? #19735
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

        I'm making a half-batch of the korvapuusti today, though I did substitute cinnamon for cardamom in the dough.

        in reply to: What are you Baking the week of December 1, 2019? #19728
        Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

          Walker Brothers Original House of Pancakes in Winnetka IL serves a cinnamon roll like that, it takes a group to finish it!

          in reply to: Daily Quiz for December 6, 2019 #19720
          Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

            There was an episode of Chopped a few years back where they gave the competitors a deckle of beef in the entree round. I think only one of them either knew the other name or recognized the cut. I wonder how many new foods or different names for them they've introduced to viewers over the years? I can think of a number of fruits and vegetables that I hadn't heard of before seeing them on the show, and I've probably seen about half of those in a store since learning of them, and I've tried a few of them, though none of them have made the list of things I buy regularly.

            Food shows and the whole foodie community have made some cuts of beef that used to be inexpensive, like flat iron steak, as expensive as Porterhouse!

            in reply to: What are you Baking the week of December 1, 2019? #19714
            Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

              I've been reading Ginzberg's book, The Rye Baker, not sure I'm ready to tackle any of his recipes yet, especially since virtually all of them use a starter that'd take a week or so to build. I need to get more rye flour first, I'm running low. I'll probably wait until after the holidays to start.

              in reply to: What are you Baking the week of November 24, 2019? #19708
              Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

                It's now been a week since Thanksgiving. The left over cheese grissini don't taste nearly as good as they did a week ago and some of them got incredibly hard. But the regular ones still taste great, possibly better than they did a week ago. I've never thought of staleness as something that could improve flavor.

                in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of December 1, 2019? #19707
                Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

                  Some years ago we had a holiday dinner at my sister-in-law's house, and she asked us to bring a rutabaga dish.

                  Cutting those darned rutabagas took forever, I think a band saw would have helped. I wonder if an apple peeler would work on them, I've used it on potatoes.

                  in reply to: What are you Baking the week of December 1, 2019? #19706
                  Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

                    I've tried the knot method a few times, haven't gotten ones that looked right yet.

                    in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of December 1, 2019? #19702
                    Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

                      I'm making beef stock today, I roasted a pan of bones, onions, carrots and celery, and now I'll let it simmer for about 18 hours, then probably do a remouillage, a second wetting of the bones, for another 12 hours. I should get 3-4 quarts of stock out of all this.

                      I also got a container of vegetable beef soup out of the freezer for supper.

                      • This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by Mike Nolan.
                      in reply to: What are you Baking the week of December 1, 2019? #19701
                      Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

                        They were time-consuming to make but the process of folding Kaiser rolls isn't hard once you master the technique, and its kind of interesting to do. I will say the stamped ones are more uniform, if that's a plus.

                        in reply to: Korvapuusti, Finnish Cinnamon Rolls #19699
                        Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

                          They're cut at an angle so each one is sort of a truncated triangle, then squished down in the middle with a finger so the spirals bulge out a bit.

                          in reply to: What are you Baking the week of December 1, 2019? #19694
                          Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

                            Here's a kaiser roll I hand folded from a stack of two colors of dough from Peter Reinhart's marbled rye bread in BBA:

                            Kaiser Rye Rolls

                            And here's what they looked like after they were cut:

                            Kaiser Rue Rolls (cut)

                            You can't get this with a kaiser roll stamp!

                            in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of December 1, 2019? #19686
                            Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

                              I wound up doing a soup and salad from Zoup.

                              in reply to: Is Paul Hollywood a phony! #19685
                              Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

                                His bio says he started working in his father's bakery as a teenager, so he probably never went to cooking school, but he's worked in hotel bakeries around Europe.

                                I've got one of his books, his recipes tend to be pretty complicated, something I'd expect of a high end hotel baker.

                                I know how to hold a knife, I just can't hold it as tightly as I used to due to arthritis, so I wind up putting my finger on the top of the blade at times, too. I think it gives you slightly better control at the expense of speed.

                                And bakers don't use knives as much as chefs do.

                                in reply to: Korvapuusti, Finnish Cinnamon Rolls #19684
                                Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

                                  I liked the pearl sugar part myself. As to size, she's holding it in the palm of her hand so it is not huge, she's cutting the dough basically in 4 cm lengths.

                                  If I make them, I'll probably leave out the cardamom, though, not one of our favorite spices.

                                  It was the shape that intrigued me, most cinnamon rolls are baked so the roll is vertical, these are horizontal. That means twice as much of the spiral is exposed.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 5,506 through 5,520 (of 8,095 total)