What are you Cooking the week of December 1, 2019?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the week of December 1, 2019?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

My, it's December already! Today may be Leftover Sunday here, though some tuna salad on challah sounds good for lunch.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

We happily continue our turkey sandwiches at lunch and will happily re-run the Thanksgiving dinner one more time on Sunday evening. It's nice to have a low-key day while I pack away the fall décor and begin decking the halls.

chocomouse
        Participant

I'm mixing it up today! Had mushroom soup with smoked gouda and crackers for lunch. We'll have turkey sandwiches tonight. The forecast is for 16 inches of snow overnight and all day tomorrow into Tuesday, so we may be very glad to have cold turkey available for our meals if the power goes out.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Leftovers here also.I made pulled pork out of pork roast I cooked earlier in the week and with that we finished off the coleslaw.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

We wound up having salads and a cinnamon roll.

RiversideLen
              Participant

I made a roast beef and chicken veg soup.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

Today I made Brunswick Stew and from some of the pork & chicken I froze from last week and some more coleslaw my husband requested with it.

Mike you were talking about chili and cinnamon rolls at your school, down here we always had chili,corn bread,cinnamon rolls and coleslaw.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

Actually, I'd never heard of pairing cinnamon rolls with chili until we moved to Nebraska, it's something Lincoln Public Schools has done for a long time. Their cinnamon rolls are not very sweet. And because all the kids and most of their parents grew up with that pairing, most of the restaurants in the area serve a cinnamon roll with chili as well.

I've heard of it being done elsewhere, too, so it's not just a Nebraska thing.

Cinnamon actually goes well with chili, I've seen recipes that added some directly to the pot. We don't tend to think of it as a spice that goes with savory dishes these days, but originally that's what it was, as was nutmeg.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

On Monday, I made the remains of the Thanksgiving turkey into broth. Although I often do broth on the wood stove, my husband was not going to make a fire until evening, so I did it on the stove top.

I also peeled and cut up some sweet potatoes, tossed in a bit of olive oil and roasted at 400F for 30 minutes. Then I drizzled them with some maple syrup and roasted another ten minutes. The sweet potatoes are from the farmers’ market, and because they are fresh, they are very tender. My husband cooked some pork, and we also had microwaved broccoli.

Italiancook
                      Participant

I must have grown up in a poor school district. We weren't served cornbread or cinnamon rolls with chili during school lunches. We received a bowl of chili and 2 saltine crackers and that was lunch. I wish I could remember how much that cost.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

We didn't get cornbread or cinnamon rolls with chili in school, either. Might have been some fruit, canned pears were pretty common. And there were always peanut butter sandwiches available.

My mother would sometimes serve cornbread as a meal, with a little butter and maple syrup. She often served cornbread with navy bean soup. That soup was not my favorite, it took me years to decide bean soups were worth eating.

When I was in high school (mid 60's) I think a lunch ticket was about $4.50 a week. You could get a burger, fries and a Coke at the diner across from the school for about $1.25, but the place was where all the smokers hung out and the air was too thick to breathe.

RiversideLen
                          Participant

I had leftover roast beef and made an apple stuffed acorn squash and roasted potatoes.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

The pairing of cinnamon rolls with chili surprised me. I have a strong association between chili and cornbread, and it may be that my mother served cornbread with chili. She made an excellent chili--mild, which is what I like.

Whether I brought lunch or had the school lunch depended on where our Navy family was living at the time, and perhaps also the cost of the lunch. I often carried a lunch box and thermos. In high school, there was no choice; it was a closed campus and not only did it not have a cafeteria, it had no designated place to eat lunch. When it rained, which does happen in southern California, we were allowed to sit in the bleachers in the gym to eat.

skeptic7
                              Participant

I have been eating Thanksgiving leftovers for days. Just warming it up with the most adventurous thing figuring out how to warm up the macaroni and cheese without drying it out. Start by heating butter and flour in a sauce pan, add milk and heat. Add macaroni and cheese in hunks. Put on lid. Find out that the pan is going to burn. Add more milk. Continue to heat on low. Break up chunks of macaroni as it starts to become less solid. Stir. At this point the mac and cheese is no longer a solid mass and is acceptably warm. add pepper and eat
                                However today I am warming up the left over vegetables -- green beans and carrots in perhaps mushroom sauce, turkey, some mac and cheese, and cranberry sauce in a sort of Chicago pizza.
                                I have one layer of pizza dough, rolled thinish lining a small 9 inch frying pan. Then I have the rest of the vegetables. The turkey in hunks, mainly white meat, and the mac and cheese again in hunks beside the turkey and cranberry sauce on top of that. This is top by another layer of pizza dough. The pizza was let to rise while the oven heated till 400 degrees, then I lowered the temperature to 350 degrees and put the stuffed pizza in the oven.
                                I am now baking it, and have the time set for 30 minutes. I hope this works, I liked those leftovers. I didn't put the stuffing leftovers or the sweet potatoes in the pie, as I didn't want to risk ruining them. I'll eat these with the few turkey pieces left or some chicken.

I baked the stuffed pizza thing for 45 minutes and it was great! Ate with lots of cranberry sauce. This was a new batch of cranberry sauce -- I should have used 1/2 cup of water, but accidentally put in 1 or 2 cups of water. I was cooking this in a small crockpot, so I cooked it on high all day with the lid ajar to evaporate most of the water. Its now a dark mahogany color instead of bright red. I was going to can it, but since I ruined it I am going to work at eating it immediately instead. Its still sweet and tasty but has a slightly smoky flavor from the long cooking.
                                Anyone know if I can make cranberry pizza? Or rolls? or Danish sort of things?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by skeptic7.
                                navlys
                                Participant

I made Allrecipes' lamb loin chops which start on the stove and finish off in the oven. Since the oven was set at 400* I added some potatoes to roast earlier. The lamb loin chops came from Costco and were thick and delicious. Yum!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.