What are you Baking the week of December 1, 2019?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the week of December 1, 2019?

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Walker Brothers Original House of Pancakes in Winnetka IL serves a cinnamon roll like that, it takes a group to finish it!

BakerAunt
      Participant

I've not tried more than two of Stanley Ginsberg's recipes in The Rye Baker because of the need for the starter. The bread I baked for Thanksgiving was from his blog, and since it used yeast, I was able to fit it into that week's baking. I still hope to try more of the recipes.

skeptic7
        Participant

The pumpkin bread came out unexpectedly fine. Good texture, fairly light. A visible and very pretty cinnamon/allspice spiral. Not too dry. It was 200 degrees when it finished baking.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I'm making a half-batch of the korvapuusti today, though I did substitute cinnamon for cardamom in the dough.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Shaping them is trickier than it seems, some came out looking pretty good, others look a bit lopsided, and the ends got a bit messy. They're a little bigger than I thought they might be, I got 14 of them from a half batch so they're pretty close to the size the recipe calls for.

image05

Attachments:
              You must be logged in to view attached files.
              Joan Simpson
              Participant

Looks good Mike.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

They're tasty, the filling is kind of thin so it is not overpoweringly sweet, but there's sugar in the dough and in the pearl sugar, so it's a sweet bite, we think they'll go well with leftover chili for supper. The dough was easy to work with, I spread it out to a rectangle that was about 24 inches wide and 15 inches deep.

chocomouse
                  Participant

They look fine, Mike. I can almost taste one now.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

The rolls look very nice, Mike.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

We made a three-day trip to Spring Mill Indiana State Park. One of the highlights of the trip was walking through the restored pioneer village from the early nineteenth century and seeing the old mill, complete with wheel and flume, which can bring water from Hammer cave and power the mill. The structures are not unlocked at this time of year, so we could not go inside any of the buildings, and the mill was not running, but it is fully restored, and they do grind corn there, which the DNR sells at the gift shop in the inn (from the ice cream freezer). I bought a two-pound bag, because I’m a baker, and that is what bakers do! It is medium grind.

On Saturday, I pulled out a recipe that was one of the early breads I baked, and which I had not baked for years. It’s “Danish Sesame Bran Bread,” yet another recipe from a Pillsbury Classics cook booklet, When Less is Best (#60). It calls for a cup of stoneground yellow cornmeal, so I opened the bag. I made a few changes. I replaced the ½ cup bran cereal with ½ cup oat bran. (I’ve learned that wheat bran binds calcium, so that the body does not get the calcium.) Instead of ½ cup low-fat milk and ½ cup plain low-fat yogurt, I used 1 cup buttermilk. I used 4 tsp. yeast (recipe calls for two packets or 4 ½ tsp.). I added 1/3 cup special dry milk for the nutrition. I reduced the molasses from ¼ cup to 3 tbs. and the honey from ¼ cup to 3 Tbs., after considering halving it. I left the salt alone, as it is 2 tsp., and I find 1 tsp. per loaf is usually fine. I used 2 ½ cups bread flour in place of AP flour (2 ½-3 cups), because I recall that with all the wholegrains, the bread sometimes sank a bit. As I always do, I initially mixed the wet ingredients (except for the oil), then added the whole wheat flour and a cup of the bread flour. After mixing, I let it sit for 15 minutes. Then I mixed in the oil, then another cup of bread flour with the salt. At that point, I switched to the kneading spiral. I added an additional ½ cup of bread flour as it kneaded. The first rise was an hour, next to the wood stove. The second was 40 minutes, then baked for 45 minutes to a temperature of 198F. I look forward to cutting into the bread at lunch tomorrow. I'll add a note to this post about taste and texture.

Promised Note: The bread has great taste. It's a firm, slightly chewy bread, which is to be expected with the nearly 2/3 whole grain. It is delicious now and will also shine as toast. It's not too sweet, and although I generally do not care for molasses in breads, it works well with the honey in this one.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by BakerAunt.
                        • This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by BakerAunt.
                        Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

We like them well enough that I'm sure I'll make them again, my guess is it'll be easier the second time around. I might make a little more of the filling next time around, but not a lot more.

Some of them got a little too done on the bottom, but they're just barely done in the middle, not sure whether to adjust the baking time, the temperature or both. (I baked them for 13 minutes at 425.)

Lightly oiling the parchment might also help.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

Maybe a heavier baking sheet?

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

I already use fairly heavy aluminum baking sheets (3/4 size, 16x22 and nearly two pounds each), I might try double-sheeting them or dropping the temperature a little.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

Perhaps also bake on a higher oven rack?

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.