What are you Cooking the week of December 1, 2019?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the week of December 1, 2019?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Skeptic--Before I had a microwave, I warmed up macaroni and cheese (admittedly Kraft!) in the top of my double boiler. The boiling water below kept it from burning.

Your Thanksgiving leftovers pizza is genius!

I think that a cranberry pizza with a complementary cheese would be delicious!

chocomouse
      Participant

Cranberry cinnamon buns would be good. Just smear the sauce on the dough before rolling it up. If the sauce is really tart, you might want to add a little brown sugar.

BakerAunt
        Participant

On Tuesday morning, I used 8 cups of the broth I made yesterday to make soup. I started by sautéing carrots, celery, and red bell pepper in some canola oil, then added 8 oz. of sliced mushrooms. I next added 3 Tbs. of dripping from deglazing the pork pan last night. I used Penzey’s dehydrated onion—3 rounded Tbs. rehydrated in 6 oz. of water for 15 minutes. My husband has had some issues with regular onion lately, but he seems to do ok with the dehydrated ones, and I like to have some flavor. I added the 8 cups of broth and 2 cups of Bob’s Red Mill Vegi-Soup mix (lentils, split peas, barley). For spices, I added 1 tsp. thyme, about 1 tsp. rosemary, and a bit of sweet curry powder. After boiling, then simmering for 55 minutes, I added some cut-up kale leaves. The flavor seemed to need a bit more zip, so I added 1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Today we had leftover Brunswick Stew and coleslaw and crackers.

BakerAunt
            Participant

For Tuesday night dinner, I roasted two chicken thighs that we had with the leftover sweet potatoes, a bit of microwaved broccoli, and some microwaved frozen peas.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by BakerAunt.
              Joan Simpson
              Participant

Tonight we had fried bacon,rice and tomato gravy and creamed corn.

chocomouse
                Participant

Dinner tonight was penne with a tomato, sausage, pepper and onion sauce, and a green salad.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I wound up doing a soup and salad from Zoup.

RiversideLen
                    Participant

I had leftover roast beef and made mashed sweet potato.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

I'm making beef stock today, I roasted a pan of bones, onions, carrots and celery, and now I'll let it simmer for about 18 hours, then probably do a remouillage, a second wetting of the bones, for another 12 hours. I should get 3-4 quarts of stock out of all this.

I also got a container of vegetable beef soup out of the freezer for supper.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by Mike Nolan.
                        Joan Simpson
                        Participant

Tonight we had fried bacon,rutabagas that I cooked all afternoon to soften up and potato salad.

I don't know if ya'll cook rutabagas but I have a hard time cutting them in half,I told my husband I needed his band saw or table saw lol.When I get it cut in half I can slice them like for potato salad then peel the edge then dice up.Just getting through that first cut is a challenge.But it was worth the time,got enough for another meal.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

Some years ago we had a holiday dinner at my sister-in-law's house, and she asked us to bring a rutabaga dish.

Cutting those darned rutabagas took forever, I think a band saw would have helped. I wonder if an apple peeler would work on them, I've used it on potatoes.

chocomouse
                            Participant

Joan, I cut up a lot of winter squash, butternut and buttercup, for the freezer during the last few days, and had the same problem. I had read a suggestion, somewhere, to soften a spaghetti squash for cutting by piercing it first, and then microwaving it for I think, 3 minutes. That would soften it enough to easily cut it in half and then bake it. But I have not tried it. I do plan to try it next time I cut a whole squash, and maybe it would work on rutabaga too.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

Last year we had a discussion about cutting butternut squash. It's probably buried in one of the cooking threads.

I've used a potato peeler (one with a broad horizontal blade) to peel butternut squash, but I halve the squash first, as otherwise they are rather slippery--and that can cause other issues.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by BakerAunt.
                                RiversideLen
                                Participant

Last night I made split chicken breasts and roasted potatoes. Small potatoes split in half, cut side dipped in duck fat and then placed in a hot cast iron skillet. Also a medley of orange cauliflower, baby carrot and really small brussels sprouts seasoned with sesame seed oil.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.