What are you Baking the week of December 1, 2019?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the week of December 1, 2019?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

After the fury of Thanksgiving baking, it might be time to give the oven a rest here. We've got breads a-plenty in the freezer.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

No baking here today, but I will be baking tomorrow.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I’m back in the kitchen on Monday. I started by making Maple Granola. The recipe is in the KAF whole grain baking cookbook, but I use the online update which reduces the oil by ¼ cup and adds ½ cup milk powder. (I use Bob’s Red Mill.) My changes are cutting the coconut from 1 cup to ½ cup and adding ¾ cup pumpkin seeds. The recipe makes a lot, but my husband munches through it almost as fast as he does the healthier cheese crackers I bake.

I also baked Lens’ Rye/Semolina/Whole Wheat Buns recipe. I substitute in ¾ cup buttermilk for that much water. I had 2 Tbs. pumpkin left over from the pumpkin I processed last week, so I added that. I used the Zo bread machine but quickly realized that I had left out the bread flour. I reset the machine and added the flour, and as I was congratulating myself, I realized that I’d used Gold Medal AP flour rather than bread flour. Sigh. I made 10 buns. They rose well and baked well, so my error did not ruin them.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by BakerAunt.
          Italiancook
          Participant

From jennycancook.com site, I'm going to make her no-butter Buttermilk Spice Cake. I've made it before, and we liked it. I have buttermilk to use up.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Tuesday afternoon found me back in the kitchen. I baked my adaptation of Double Ginger Biscotti with Pistachios, using oil rather than butter, with a bit of buttermilk, some white whole wheat flour, and some additional water. This time, I used the slightly above middle oven rack and my heavy baking pans, so I didn’t have the issue of the bottoms overbrowning.

My next project was a Banana Oat Bran Muffin recipe that I worked out last year and tweaked slightly. I made them as six large muffins

My final project, after dinner, is to bake my Healthier Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers from the dough I made last week.

RiversideLen
              Participant

Determined to make knotted Kaiser style rolls, I watched a few videos and then went to work. I was going to make half of my buns Kaiser. After 2 attempts I decided there is a valid reason for owning the kaiser stamp. As you can see from the pic, they leave much to be desired as Kaiser buns. If you didn't know they were supposed to be, you might think they were something else. I decided to give up after 2 and made the rest regular. Making basket weave buns is easier even though I have to made 6 tiny ropes for each one.

buns

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by RiversideLen.
                Attachments:
                You must be logged in to view attached files.
                Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

Here's a kaiser roll I hand folded from a stack of two colors of dough from Peter Reinhart's marbled rye bread in BBA:

Kaiser Rye Rolls

And here's what they looked like after they were cut:

Kaiser Rue Rolls (cut)

You can't get this with a kaiser roll stamp!

RiversideLen
                  Participant

Yes, Mike, I can see doing things the old fashioned way has some advantages. That looks real good.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

They were time-consuming to make but the process of folding Kaiser rolls isn't hard once you master the technique, and its kind of interesting to do. I will say the stamped ones are more uniform, if that's a plus.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

Both of ya'lls rolls look good,Mike had the edge on this one but the taste is where it's at and I'm betting they're both very good.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I've tried the knot method a few times, haven't gotten ones that looked right yet.

chocomouse
                          Participant

Today I made rye bread, using the recipe on the KAF bag of Rye flour. It's also on their website, called "Russian Rye". I bought this because I had a $10 Rewards credit - so essentially it was a free 3 lbs of flour. This is what they call their "medium rye", and as I read the recipe I knew it was not going to be a really great rye bread! It did not envelope my whole kitchen with a delicious rye aroma. However, it did make a tasty loaf, just not a strong rye flavor. I'm sure that adding some deli rye flavor, onion, mustard seed, dill seed would up the flavor a couple of notches. It's also a bit lighter and fluffier than I like, but my husband really likes it.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

I've been reading Ginzberg's book, The Rye Baker, not sure I'm ready to tackle any of his recipes yet, especially since virtually all of them use a starter that'd take a week or so to build. I need to get more rye flour first, I'm running low. I'll probably wait until after the holidays to start.

skeptic7
                              Participant

I baked another loaf of Pumpkin whole wheat bread, but I doubled the spices and left out any sugar. The ginger was mixed in with the dough, but the cinnamon and allspice were made into a spice swirl by flatting out the dough, spreading the spices and rolling it up. I hope the bread comes out all right. I baked it at 400 degrees in a dutch oven for an hour, and I had planned to bake it at 350 degrees.
                                I did this about a month ago at the lower temperature.

chocomouse
                                Participant

I baked a spiral cinnamon bun in my large cast iron skillet. I added thinly sliced apples. This is the kind where you put a melted butter-cinnamon-brown sugar mixture in the skillet, and wind the dough strips that are covered with more butter-cinnamon-brown sugar into one large bun. When it done, flip it over onto a plate and drizzle with icing or coat with a thick frosting. I skipped that part, it's sweet enough without it. I find the flipping-over to be nerve-wracking, and when flipping a hot 14" cast iron skillet it's downright terrifying - but worth it!

Attachments:
                                  You must be logged in to view attached files.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.