Mon. Sep 28th, 2026

Mike Nolan

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 4,171 through 4,185 (of 8,094 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Let the Christmas/Holiday cookie baking begin! #27913
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

      King Arthur went 'green' and dropped a lot of items that didn't meet their guidelines for preservatives and other additives. I think that's also why they stopped making their cake flour.

      in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of December 20, 2020? #27912
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

        I found a turkey breast that wasn't loaded with brine or salty stock, so that's what I'll make on Christmas, with potatoes, stuffing and gravy.

        in reply to: What are you Baking the week of December 20, 2020? #27911
        Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

          I made semolina bread today, they smell great!

          in reply to: Harvest Grains Blend Substitute #27893
          Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

            According to King Arthur, the harvest grains blend has four grains (whole oat berries, millet, rye flakes, and wheat flakes) and four seeds (flax, poppy, sesame, and sunflower).

            The Bob's Red Mill 10 grain cereal mix has whole grain wheat;corn;whole grain rye;whole grain triticale;whole grain oats;soy beans;whole grain millet;barley;whole grain brown rice;oat bran;flaxseed, which isn't very close.

            in reply to: Breville Smart Convection Toaster Oven Air #27890
            Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

              We haven't had a toaster oven in a looooong time. There was a recent thread on the BBGA forum about kitchen appliances and someone who put in several Wolf appliances got a Wolf toaster oven as a thank-you and says it is great. (It's $600+, it better be!)

              The last Breville thing I bought was probably a stick blender, and I went through about five stick blenders, none of which lasted very long, before I spent the extra money to buy a Bamix. (They invented the stick blender and IMHO still make a good one.)

              One of the ones I bought I took apart after it broke. The coupler between the motor and the blade was a cheap piece of plastic that had cracked.

              in reply to: Using Milk Powder in Cookies, Cakes, and Bread #27879
              Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

                I'm not sure if ordinary powdered milk has active enzymes in it or not, if it doesn't, why does the baker's powdered milk exist as a separate product?

                in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of December 13, 2020? #27875
                Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

                  Finishing off leftovers here, might have to actually cook something tomorrow.

                  in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of December 13, 2020? #27856
                  Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

                    I can never decide if I like cherry pie better than apple pie or vice-versa, whichever one I made most recently, I guess. 🙂

                    in reply to: What are you Baking the week of December 13, 2020? #27848
                    Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

                      I'm seldom happy with the edges of my pies, one of the reasons I like doing a lattice crust is you generally don't flute the edges of one.

                      I always wonder how people get such perfect fluted edges.

                      in reply to: What are you Baking the week of December 13, 2020? #27844
                      Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

                        The Austrian Malt Bread makes great oven cheese toast. Spread butter or margarine on slices, top with a tablespoon or two of shredded cheese (we like a four-cheese blend we get at Sams) and put under the broiler until lightly browned.

                        And I always make the Austrian Malt Bread when we make a fresh batch of Cardinal Preserves strawberry jam.

                        in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of December 13, 2020? #27843
                        Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

                          Pie picture in baking thread. Dinner tonight will be Crab Alfredo on noodles, baked sweet potato and a tossed salad, with cherry pie for dessert. (My wife already had a piece of the pie for brunch.)

                          in reply to: What are you Baking the week of December 13, 2020? #27840
                          Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

                            Here's the cherry pie I made last night. My wife specifically requested that I not do a lattice crust.

                            cherrypie

                            Attachments:
                            You must be logged in to view attached files.
                            in reply to: Sourdough in Pasta #27839
                            Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

                              I usually discard the rest of my rye starter when I feed it, because I haven't really found anything to make with it yet.

                              in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of December 13, 2020? #27832
                              Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

                                We had creamed tuna on biscuits tonight. I need to make my cherry pie this evening, tomorrow is my wife's birthday and she wants a slice of pie at lunch.

                                in reply to: Careful what you wish for #27821
                                Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

                                  We picked up about 4 inches of snow Saturday morning and most of it is still here, because the temperatures have been below freezing. The roads are in pretty good shape, though.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 4,171 through 4,185 (of 8,094 total)