Careful what you wish for

Home Forums General Discussions Careful what you wish for

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    kimbob
    Participant

I've been whining last year and this year about the lack of snow. I just want a couple inches of snow because, after all, it's winter! Hasn't really been cold, either, and bugs are still flying around. It was 55 the other day. Well, Wednesday night into Thursday we're supposed to get 12 to 18 inches of the white stuff. 😱 I started up the snowblower yesterday to make sure it works. Got gas for the generator if we need it. I think I'll make a big pot of soup Wednesday so we can nuke it if we lose power. The generator won't run the stove.
      Made the last 4 loaves of stollen today -- 2 with a marzipan log in the middle. Gonna try that one tomorrow.
      Well, if you're in the path of the nor'Easter stay safe and get supplies!

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

Hope you all stay safe and glad you are prepared.Kimbob all your baking sounds so good!

I understand about being careful what you wish for.10 years ago I worked at Shoney's as server and cashier or supervisor when needed.I said to my husband Dec.9th 2010 "I sure hate to go back to work tomorrow after 2 days off".The next day when I got to work they informed us they'd be closing the doors at 3pm that day.I was shocked but all worked out well.I worked there 23 years.

kimbob
        Participant

Joan, I'm glad it all worked out. Take one day at a time, that's my motto. I bet we don't get all this snow. They rev everyone up and nothing happens. Lol

cwcdesign
          Participant

Kimbob, I was going to say, now that you’re ready it won’t be so bad. That’s how I look at hurricane prep (and use to for snowstorms). I’d rather be already and hav3 nothing happen than be found unready when a big one hits!

Stay safe!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by cwcdesign.
            RiversideLen
            Participant

That's more snow than I want, Kimbob, about 12 to 18 inches too much! I hope it doesn't turn out so bad.

BakerAunt
              Participant

The weather people are teasing the possibility of snow tomorrow, but not the amount that is supposed to be headed for Kimbob. I hope that Kimbob and family stay cozy--and do not lose power.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

We picked up about 4 inches of snow Saturday morning and most of it is still here, because the temperatures have been below freezing. The roads are in pretty good shape, though.

skeptic7
                  Participant

I am suppose to get wintry mix on Wednesday. It normally doesn't stay around long but I plan to stay inside until it melts.

Kimbob thats a lot of snow. I hope you stay warm and your power remains ups.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

North central Indiana, where we live got about an inch and a half of snow overnight and into this morning. The grass is still peaking about it. Our dog was quite surprised by it this morning.

kimbob
                      Participant

14 inches so far. Snow supposed to stop by 10. Shoveled a path on the patio to the lawn for the dog. The snow is taller than him! Had coffee and stollen and going out soon to snowblow. Looks pretty!

skeptic7
                        Participant

The snow has mainly melted off the sidewalks and streets. I had to brush it off my car. I think it was less than 2 inches here.
                          Kimbob are you still getting snow?

kimbob
                          Participant

Skeptic7, it slowed down around 9 so I started clearing. What a bear! The snow was moderately heavy and high. Took me 2 hours. Ugh anyway, it stopped snowing and the sun came out. Still cold out, though, and going down to the teens tonight.

skeptic7
                            Participant

Kimbob;
                              Congratulations on getting all your snow cleared out! Do you have a lot of sidewalk to shovel? How much was it at the end.

Actually I wrote to congratulate you on your stollen. I haven't done that for awhile but I remember loving to bake and eat it around Xmas. I gave up on making it Stollen shaped and ended up braiding it. A friend of my mother's pointed out that with all the fruits and nuts its a heavy dough and braiding it would let it rise without having to push all the dough out of the way,

kimbob
                              Participant

Hi, skeptic7. We ended up with 14.5 inches. Still alot on the ground but melting a little. I have the front walk and a big driveway. Yeah, stollens are finished for the year. Now is the only time I can find fresh yeast so I made some to freeze and sent some to my brother. I just fold mine over a bit before the bottom edge. Not too many people like stollen and lump it in with fruitcake. I actually like fruitcake but it gets a bad rap.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.