Harvest Grains Blend Substitute

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls Harvest Grains Blend Substitute

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    cwcdesign
    Participant

aargh! I just recently placed an order with KABC - got sprouted wheat flour and semolina but totally forgot to order the Harvest Grains blend. I also recently got some more McCann's steel cut oats (my favorite) and was getting ready to make Mrs. Cindy's Irish Oatmeal bread. It calls for 2/3 cup Harvest Grains and I have none.

You mix ½ cup steel cut oats with 2 cups milk (boil, remove from heat, add salt, butter, the grains and honey or maple syrup - let cool to room temperature. The flours are WWW and AP.

Can anyone think of anything I could substitute from what I have on hand - sprouted wheat, Irish whole meal, sunflower seeds (that would be too much), chopped nuts? Do you think I could make it without them? Is it time to shelve the recipe until my next order? Or something I might find in the grocery or health food store locally?

Thanks!

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

According to King Arthur, the harvest grains blend has four grains (whole oat berries, millet, rye flakes, and wheat flakes) and four seeds (flax, poppy, sesame, and sunflower).

The Bob's Red Mill 10 grain cereal mix has whole grain wheat;corn;whole grain rye;whole grain triticale;whole grain oats;soy beans;whole grain millet;barley;whole grain brown rice;oat bran;flaxseed, which isn't very close.

cwcdesign
        Participant

And, since I'm running low on parchment, I decided to go ahead and order it, but the website says the Harvest Grains blend is no longer available and the 6-grain blend is temporarily out of stock. Maybe I'll email them and see what they recommend.

chocomouse
          Participant

Harvest Grains is my favorite KAF product!! I sent a chat message to them asking if this is temporary or permanent and is it being discontinued and why. I reminded them how many, many bakers love the product and are so disappointed. My husband is going to drop by the store this morning to see if they have any product on the shelves out back - in the past, he has sometimes been able to get things that are "out of stock" from the mail orders or on the store shelves.

I used to make my own grain mix. Anyone remember the old, old Baking Circle? We had a sort of mini-contest, a "He who dies with the most flour and grains, wins?" and many of us counted the bags of stuff in our pantries. I had almost 30, don't remember exactly. So I hauled most everything out to the kitchen and spread them out on the counter. Then I selected and pretty much randomly "measured" (handfuls) varying amounts of each into a large mason jar. I also added lots of seeds. Of course, I would never meet KAF's standards of consistency, but I never mixed up a batch that didn't add a lot of flavor, and nutrition, to a loaf of bread. Not sure I could do that today, since I no longer stock the huge variety of ingredients that I used to have. But you could buy small bags of each of the grains/seeds and sort of replicate the Harvest Grains mix.

BakerAunt
            Participant

I'm glad now that I bought a bag a few months ago.

cwcdesign
              Participant

I heard back from KABC and they said they are currently out of both blends and don't have a "return to stock date." Then they directed me to this blog post which I'mm not sure answers my question
                https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/blog/2020/10/28/3-ways-to-switch-up-your-bread-baking

In the Harvest Grains bread you don't make a soaker with the grains, just mix them in the dough. Mrs. Cindy's bread does add them to soak for a short time.

chocomouse
                Participant

Anyone else receive an e-mail from KABC this morning, advertising last minute baking suggested purchases? The first featured item is Harvest Grains! I suspect it is still not in stock, and the advertisement was planned well in advance. I'm thinking about asking Santa to stop by there on his way to my house!

aaronatthedoublef
                  Participant

It's sloppy to send out an email with an out-of-stock product. Even if the flyer has been planned for months in advance it would take seconds to update it. If they were really ambitious they could setup an automated system to link these mails to inventory (I am spending too much time in supply chain these days).

BakerAunt
                    Participant

A few weeks ago, KABC sent me an email advertising a "Do It Yourself Pizza Kit." Ah, I thought, the perfect gift for my sister and two nieces. I clicked on it at once, and it was out of stock. Either everyone else beat me to it, or it is another example of sloppiness.

I had wanted a simple baking gift that someone who bakes occasionally but had not worked with yeast would be able to make with her ten-year old twins. Sigh.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

I just looked at the KABC site, and it shows Harvest Blends in stock. It's in new packaging.

chocomouse
                        Participant

The last bag of Harvest Grains that I bought a few months ago is in the new clear plastic package. Several other flours/grains are also in the clear bags, so I presumed they are switching all products over. I guess I don't like change -- I prefer the look of the brown paper bags, even though they are lined with plastic. Somehow, this new clear plastic looks like a step backward in environmental consideration.

cwcdesign
                          Participant

I didn't receive that email, but I discovered yesterday when I was ordering some more parchment paper that they do have it in stock - no longer the two pound clear plastic bag, but a 3-pound white plastic bag that is in stock.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.