Using Milk Powder in Cookies, Cakes, and Bread

Home Forums Baking — Desserts Using Milk Powder in Cookies, Cakes, and Bread

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I've often put milk powder into baked goods to boost the calcium, but this article suggests that doing so also adds to taste and texture:

https://www.epicurious.com/ingredients/milk-powder-baking-cookies-cake-brownie-article

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

I bought me some on our last grocery run.

skeptic7
        Participant

I keep powdered milk on hand for clam chowder, and emergencies. Like today I ran out of liquid milk and had to use it on hot chocolate. When I use it in bread, I always reconstitute it first and scald it. I am doing mainly all whole wheat bread and scalding milk makes a difference in the rise. Its interesting to see it as an ingredient in cookies.
          KAF cookbooks said that the extra protein in milk and milk powder makes the bread rise higher.

kimbob
          Participant

I always have powdered milk on hand, too. Use some when making yogurt and bread.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Does powdered milk have to be reconstituted and scalded to use? I thought that the heat used to dehydrate it would take care of any problem.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I'm not sure if ordinary powdered milk has active enzymes in it or not, if it doesn't, why does the baker's powdered milk exist as a separate product?

BakerAunt
                Participant

I keep both on hand, and I use the baker's powdered milk in yeast breads and the regular powdered milk in yogurt and other baking, such as quick breads, muffins, cakes, and now cookies. The price is about the same for King Arthur's dried milk for baking and Bob's Red Mill milk powder.

Someone asked, in a roundabout way under the questions under the Bob's Red Mill product, about whether it was treated for high heat--and clearly that person was thinking about the special dry milk King ARthur produces (an no one else?) but not naming it. The answer from the company seemed to hedge. I'm not sure how much of that was not identifying their process or trying to avoid getting in trouble with another company.

I do not care for the granular powdered milk, although before I found BRM, which is a powder, the granular was what I bought. I would usually grind it to powder, which was a bit of a mess. Of course, the granular dried milk is easily reconstituted. Perhaps that is a clue? The BRM milk powder also can be reconstituted, but the King Arthur special dry milk cannot be reconstituted and must be mixed in with dry ingredients.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.