What are you Cooking the Week of November 26, 2023?

Home Forums Cooking โ€” (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of November 26, 2023?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    chocomouse
    Participant

cwcdesign, it is Ina's recipe with the orzo. I have a favorite tomato soup recipe, but would like to try that one. I would leave out the orzo also. The one I use has Italian herbs and a little cream/half and half, so it is similar with your changes. Thanks.

cwcdesign
      Participant

Great minds think alike ๐Ÿ˜

BakerAunt
        Participant

On Tuesday, I made yogurt. For dinner, I used the rest of the turkey, the gravy, and the giblet broth, along with carrots, red and yellow bell pepper, a bit of celery, parsley, and mushrooms to make a sauce which I mixed with spinach noodles. I lightly seasoned with sage and freshly ground pepper. We have enough left for dinner tomorrow.

It was a quick dinner to put together, which we needed as our dog had surgery today for an ear hematoma, and it was after 5 p.m. when we got home with her from the vet.

chocomouse
          Participant

Sorry about your dog's surgery, BakerAunt. I hope she has a speedy recovery.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Thank you, Chocomouse. Right now, we are trying to make sure that she does not remove her head wrap for at least five days. We are not sure how the injury happened, but I was a bit late letting her out last Friday morning. With duck hunters around, we need to get her out and back in before sunrise, when hunters are allowed to start shooting. It was before dawn, but we think some hunters fired before sunrise, causing her to panic and hit something with her ear, possibly the door. Due to the amount of blood vessels in a dog's ear, surgery was required.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

We had leftover turkey pot pie and leftover dessert pie for supper (cherry for Diane, sweet potato for me.)

BakerAunt
                Participant

We had leftover turkey, vegetables, and noodles from last night. There is enough for me to have at lunch tomorrow.

For lunch on Wednesday, I made Smoky Beans and Greens, a recipe that I developed earlier this year to use turnip greens. However, there are no turnip greens at our local farmers' market, since the vendor's crop was wiped out by continuous groundhog invasions. Instead, I used kale from another vendor. Previously, I used white beans, but this time I used 15 oz. of garbanzos that I froze last time I cooked a pot. It made enough for today's lunch, and for lunch on Friday.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I had some more of the turkey pot pie, Diane had it for lunch so she had soup tonight.

RiversideLen
                    Participant

All the best to your dog, BA, I know how special pets are.

I'm going through my freezer as I have a lot of stuff in there for a couple of years. I thawed out two steaks overnight and cooked them today. So, I had a NY strip with noodles and red cabbage. Will have the other steak tomorrow.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

Thank you, Len. She is more of her old self today, and so far, we have made it through two days without her trying to remove her head bandage. We need to get to at least five days.

For dinner on Thursday, I made a spaghetti squash casserole. The original recipe calls it lasagna, although it has no noodles. The recipe might have been part of the "evil" carbs" movement. I left out the Italian spices in deference to my husband. I added 8 oz. sliced mushrooms, a stalk of chopped celery, three green onions I needed to use up, and one of our red bell peppers. The resulting casserole was good, but a bit watery. I might try the recipe next time with some no-boil lasagna noodles, since it is a bit watery. That would make it more of a "lasagna."

BakerAunt
                        Participant

We will have more of the spaghetti squash casserole for Friday dinner.

I brought in some seconds apples from the garage today. I want to make and can some apple butter, using the recipe to which Mike posted a link. My slow cooker (from Montgomery Wards, so it is old) is only 3 1/2-quarts, so I will make just a bit more than a half recipe. However, timing is such that I will need to wait to start it until late Saturday evening.

chocomouse
                          Participant

Our dinner tonight was shrimp and broccoli alfredo on bowtie pasta, with a green salad.

navlys
                            Participant

BA cherish that old slow cooker when low was low and high was high. Now low is high and high is really high IMHO.!

Italiancook
                              Participant

My opinion is that your opinion is 100% correct -- at least where my new slow cookers are concerned, navlys. Today, I made slow cooker Florentine Potato Soup. The recipe from old, good slow cooker era calls for it to cook 7 hours on low. In my new slow cooker, the potatoes were cooked in 5 hr. 10 min.! You called it right, navlys.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

Thanks, Navlys and Italian Cook for posting about your experiences with your slow cookers.

I was thinking that if I liked the apple butter recipe, maybe I would invest in a larger crockpot. Now I think that if I like the recipe, I will keep my eye out for a crockpot at a thrift store or a garage sale.

I roasted a bone-in chicken breast, that was marked down at the grocery this morning, for dinner on Saturday. It was enough for both of us, with enough left over for chicken salad sandwiches later. I also roasted sweet potato chunks separately in the countertop convection oven and microwaved frozen peas.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.