What are you Cooking the Week of July 26, 2020?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of July 26, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Probably bagels with cream cheese and corned beef for supper here today.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

On Sunday morning, I made “Dilly Beans,” from Jane Brody’s Good Food Gourmet (p. 347), a recipe that I have not made in years. However, we had a pound of green beans from the garden ready, so I pulled out the recipe. I have been searching for dill weed, both in the grocery and the farmers market, without success. I substituted 2 tsp. Penzey’s dried dill and hope that will be sufficient. I also discovered that I have no dill seed in the spice cabinet. I put it on the list for my next Penzey’s order and googled substitutes. I read that caraway or celery seed were acceptable, so I chose the celery seed. I had to delete the tsp. of red pepper flakes in deference to my husband. It is supposed to refrigerate for at least 10 hours before serving.

I also made a 2/3 recipe of the Cook’s Country “All American Potato Salad,” using new red potatoes from the farmers market yesterday. These are organically grown, so expensive, but worth it. However, when I went to get the pickles, I discovered that only one remained, when I knew that I had had enough left for another potato salad. It turns out that my husband, who can NEVER find anything in the refrigerator proper without help, and for whom I had left a clearly visible jar of dills he could eat in the door, had rooted through the refrigerator, found them, and had been eating them. I can only get these at Big Lots or Tuesday Morning—and the prospects of a trip into either county, whose Covid-19 numbers are far higher than ours, are nil. Big Lots will not ship them. So, I had to use another kind of German dill that we bought at Aldi’s, and which do not have the distinctive taste we like in this potato salad. Next time, I put the jar in the apt. refrigerator, even though it is a hassle to go out and get it. I also had to substitute for sour cream as I had none, and no Greek yogurt either. I used just a bit of regular full-fat yogurt.

These two salads—taking a page out of Chocomouse’s posts—are intended to accompany Turkey Zucchini meat loaf, but I have had an extended day in the kitchen (more on the baking thread), so we will have the minestrone again tonight, and I will do the loaf tomorrow and serve it with the salads.

I also made another batch of yogurt.

chocomouse
        Participant

Our dinner tonight was hamburger steaks, with cole slaw, green salad, steamed zucchini and summer squash, and a teensy 2 inch diameter tomato. All of this, except the beef, are from our garden. I'm so happy it is finally producing. I watered everything today, as the the next 2 days will be in the 90s again. We've never had heat like this before in Vermont!

Joan Simpson
          Participant

I went to local BBQ restaurant got a salad and sandwich for us tonight.

BakerAunt
            Participant

On Monday, I made my Turkey and Zucchini Meatloaf with Peach-Dijon Mustard Glaze (recipe posted here at Nebraska Kitchen) to go with the Dilly Beans and the Potato Salad I made yesterday. The acidity of the Dilly Beans is too much for my husband, so I will be finishing them off over the next few days while he has microwaved ones.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

Tonight we had meatloaf,cheese scalloped potatoes and garden peas.

chocomouse
                Participant

Tuna sandwiches

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

tomato and salami sandwiches

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Tonight we had spaghetti and meat sauce with garlic toast.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

We had leftovers, which is a good thing because I bought a new phone today, and just spent several hours on chat trying to troubleshoot how to turn off the very irritating Voice Assistant. I later googled it and learned that it is under Vision and Screen Reader--neither of which I associate with audio.

It is going to take me a while to get comfortable with this new phone.

chocomouse
                        Participant

We had zucchini-cheese pancakes, a KAF recipe I've not tried before. It was easy to mix, and cook on the griddle, and had excellent consistency and texture. They were pretty bland although I increased the herbs, using fresh garlic, basil from my garden, and dried oregano. For cheese, I used a parmesan-romano-asiago blend. Next time I would replace some of that with a sharp cheddar. It called for 4 cups of zucchini, so I used up a 10 inch almost over-ripe zuke. I'll probably make them again. With it, we had sliced Italian sausage, sweet red pepper, onion, and a small potato, all cooked in a cast iron fry pan. A tasty dish and good to use up some leftovers.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

I had tuna salad in a tomato, my wife had tuna on a lettuce salad.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

I've had my iPhone for 2 1/2 years and I'm still finding things I don't know how to do on it.

cwcdesign
                              Participant

Good luck with your new phone BakerAunt! I’m going to try to muddle through with mine a little longer.

Will and I collaborated on dinner tonight - the arroz con pollo is one of his favorites, but very greasy. He decided he wanted to create a version. So he made Alton Brown’s brown rice, chopped the veges, put them in the grill pan and started to season the chicken tenders (they were still a tiny bit frozen)- then he went for his run. I took the rice out of the oven, put the pan of veges on the grill and when they were done, I grilled the tenders after seasoning them with olive oil, S&P and Penzey’s fajita seasoning. Tossed it all together with some queso Will made earliver in the day. It was really good. It had the comfort food-ness of the restaurant version, but tasted so much fresher.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

I was forced to get a new phone as mine is being rendered obsolete by the upgraded network. It was perhaps six or seven years old? And manufacturers have found new and amazing ways to befuddle us, while refusing to give us a straightforward operator's manual.

Great dinner experimentation tonight at Chocomouse's and Cwcdesign's kitchens!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.