What are you Cooking the Week of July 26, 2020?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of July 26, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Joan Simpson
    Participant

Went grocery shopping today so we had breakfast for supper.Sausage,grits,eggs and buttermilk biscuits.

chocomouse
      Participant

I went grocery shopping at 6:30 this morning, the old folks time-slot. So dinner tonight will be clean out the fridge. I'm thinking of soft flour tacos, stuffed with leftovers plus cheese and salsa, or maybe a tzatziki sauce.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

THIS 'old folk' sure isn't getting up at 6AM to go grocery shopping!

BakerAunt
          Participant

For Thursday dinner, my husband roasted the remaining “pandemic turkey” that has been in our freezer since March. I made gravy with the drippings, and we had it over noodles. Microwaved fresh broccoli completed the meal.

chocomouse
            Participant

Mike, I love shopping then. It's a lovely half hour drive with little traffic. Only a few shoppers in the store, although the aisles may be crowded with employees stocking shelves and their huge carts; at my store, most items are well-stocked. Back in March, the deli, fish, and meat departments were closed, but after a few weeks, they too opened early. And, if you are retired, by 8:30 you can be home, groceries put away, and back in bed for a nap!

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

Around here several of the stores have their first hour reserved for elderly and high-risk customers, usually 8AM to 9AM, and from what I hear that's the most crowded part of the day. At least one of the grocery chains has apparently gone back to being open 24 hours a day, but shopping at 2AM isn't on my bucket list, either.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Aldi's has a "vulnerable" time on Tuesday and Thursday, from 8:30-9:30 a.m. So, when we go, it is on one of those days at that time. The Walmart was not that crowded. My husband did note that someone at the door was keeping track of how many people entered and exited.

The biggest issue was that people are either ignoring or do not realize that aisles are supposed to be one-way. It is written on the floor, so I think a lot of people miss it, and of course there is the "just grabbing the one thing I forgot." If they want one-way aisles to work, they will need to put up signs at eye level.

Even before the pandemic, we would choose off-times to shop to avoid crowds.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

On Friday afternoon, I made a batch (three 8 oz. jars) of “seedless” blackberry jam. I do run the blackberries through a contraption with a crank and a metal blade and egg-shaped wooden piece. It takes out a lot of seeds, but some still get through. I have another three cups of the blackberry puree that results, so I’m hoping for enough additional blackberries to get to four cups. The blackberries come from our terrace and from our woodlands.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

The one-way signs on the grocery store aisles would be less annoying if the aisles weren't so long! I'm convinced they add several minutes to an otherwise well-planned shopping trip.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

Today I marinated a boneless chicken breast in dill pickle juice for about an hour then fried,it was so moist and juicy,with that we had fried okra and macaroni salad.

chocomouse
                        Participant

I hate the one-way signs in the grocery store, although I understand the need for one-way aisles. Another good thing about the special shopping hours for mature people, etc., is with very few shoppers in the store, it's easy to slip down the aisle the wrong way, especially if you just want something at this end. I don't need to go down every aisle in the store, and with mobility issues, I don't want to cover any "extra" territory. I've stood there trying to figure out how to cover my shopping list when all the aisles from where I stand are "exit" aisles!

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

We had cheese tortellini and a salad.

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

Tonight we had taco salad.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

We had more of the turkey, microwaved fresh broccoli, and the first sweet corn of the season.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

We've cut back on the amount of sweet corn we eat, it's really high in carbs. Plus, with just 2 of us, even a half dozen ears will last a while.

We made the rest of the tortellini tonight, it was from Costco, I plan to buy more.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.