What are you Cooking the Week of January 15, 2023?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of January 15, 2023?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Great shot of a roasted chicken, Len!

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

We had creamed tuna on biscuits tonight.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Wednesday dinner was ham sandwiches on that great rye bread I baked yesterday, along with more of the coleslaw.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Tonight's supper was more Brunswick Stew.I've got about a gallon to put in the freezer.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Joan, I think you make Brunswick Stew like I make chili, I often wind up with multiple 3-quart containers of it for the fridge and freezer. I use a 12 quart stock pot and it is pretty full at first, though it reduces by an inch or two in the pot as it cooks.

BakerAunt
              Participant

For dinner on Thursday, I made black-eyed peas with brown rice, ham, kale, and yellow bell pepper. While I did not make the quantities that Mike makes for chili, or that Joan makes for Brunswick stew, we have enough leftovers to rotate with other meals into next week.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

We had some chili from the freezer tonight, and there's enough left for another supper plus a lunch or two.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Yeah Mike when I make Brunswick Stew it's hard for me to make a little , I also put 3 qt.containers in the freezer today.My pot is a big one too.

Tonight we had meatloaf patties, macaroni and cheese sliced tomatoes and green butter beans.

Has anyone ever had hamburger meat that would not stay together?I buy 80-20 and it was previously frozen but it would not stay together.I had onion,peppers,oatmeal bread ,egg and seasoning etc.So I made 4 patties but when it baked it still fell apart when you'd stick your fork in it. Oh well we ate it anyway..

RiversideLen
                    Participant

I had the last of my roasted chicken tonight, with pasta and cauliflower and Brussels sprouts.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

I find the lower fat ground beef (85-95%) falls apart more, maybe the stuff you have that's labeled 80% is actually lower in fat. (I don't think there's any penalty for having less fat than what it is labeled at.)

Other factors that could affect it are the cuts it was made from, how finely it was ground, possibly even grass-fed vs grain-fed.

Not sure why freezing it would make that much difference, I suspect that the chubs of ground beef that I prefer to the trays have sometimes been frozen during shipping.

When making a meatloaf, chilling it for an hour or so seems to improve how well it stays together both before and after it has been baked.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

Thanks for the info Mike.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

Tonight we had chargrilled chicken breast,green beans and a baked sweet potato.

I made a cheese spread with 8 oz.cream cheese, a little onion powder, dash of Worcestershire , a teaspoon of pimentos and about 1/2 cup american cheese and black pepper and it tastes so good.Needed to use the cream cheese so took care of that.

Cleaned the coffee pot today and when I was getting it all wiped down I put the carafe on the counter and knocked the dang thing off.Glass shattered everywhere need I say more .So off to Khols to get a new one as the shipping and price of carafe was half as much as new one and I want it tomorrow morning.That glass was everywhere..when I went to cook the chicken tonight I found shards in a griddle I keep by my stove top that was 5 ft. away.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

Oh, Joan! Yes, that kind of heat-resistant glass really shatters when it breaks. Good luck getting it all cleaned up.

chocomouse
                              Participant

Dinner tonight was haddock, fries, and cole slaw. I used the air fry mode on my Breville oven and it came out perfectly.

Italiancook
                                Participant

Joan, so sorry to hear about your shattered glass mess. I hope you find every last piece of glass without injury.

How is your husband feeling? Has he met with success in his quest to give up smoking? Every state in the Union has a smoking cessation program. You may be able to find information for your state by Googling. I've been praying for him to succeed in quitting. Before the pandemic, I read that stopping the use of tobacco is extremely difficult because tobacco is extremely addictive.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.