What are you Cooking the Week of January 15, 2023?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of January 15, 2023?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

The month is about half over, seems like it was New Years only yesterday.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I made our favorite buttermilk coleslaw on Sunday, using the last cabbage I had from the fall farmers' market. We will have some for dinner, along with ham sandwiches on Pompanoosuc Porridge Bread. Dessert will be some of the pumpkin cake I baked yesterday. We got a good price on the ham. Some will be used in sandwiches, and some will be frozen for future meals.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

We had an easy supper ham sandwich and fries.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

We had sirloin steak and baked potatoes for supper tonight.

RiversideLen
            Participant

Yesterday I made roasted salmon and chicken veg soup.

BakerAunt
              Participant

I made yogurt on Monday.

For dinner, we had leftover chicken thighs, leftover roasted potato chunks, and microwaved frozen green beans that came from our garden.

RiversideLen
                Participant

Yesterday I made a spatchcock chicken. I seasoned it with sage, thyme and a pinch of onion powder. I roasted it at 400 degrees and turned on the convection mode when it was 40 degrees from my target. It got nice color and turned out juicy. I had it with mashed potato and green beans.

chicken

Attachments:
                  You must be logged in to view attached files.
                  Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Yesterday we had more Brunswick Stew and tonight we had cubed venison steak in onion gravy with rice and creamed corn.

Len your baked chicken looks perfect!

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Wow! That is a front cover of the cooking magazine worthy chicken, Len!

I roasted sweet potatoes to go with leftover chicken thighs and leftover coleslaw for dinner on Tuesday.

chocomouse
                      Participant

Len, I must have misplaced your dinner invitation! OMG I can almost smell that now.

chocomouse
                        Participant

We had a ham and cheddar quiche for dinner, with onions, peppers, and lots of thyme. It was delicious. I baked it to an internal temp of 175*, 45 minutes, but think it could have used another 5 minutes without becoming too dry. I also thought the pie crust was a little too "gummy" -- do any of you par-bake your crusts for quiche? The recipes I checked said not to do that.

RiversideLen
                          Participant

Thanks everyone! btw, I have enough left for all you, I'll leave a light on.

I hadn't made a whole chicken in a long time, usually just get thighs and breasts.

Tonight will be leftover chicken, cauliflower and broccoli. I haven't decided on a starch yet, will either be rice or noodles.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

Chocomouse--I do parbake my quiche crusts, but that is in part because my crusts are oil based, and they work better with parbaking. You could parbake it but keep the parbaking time short. Cooks Illustrated had recommended times, depending on how long the pie would need to bake, and that would likely work for a quiche as well.

chocomouse
                              Participant

We had a pot roast for dinner, with potatoes, onions, and carrots. There's plenty for several leftover meals.

chocomouse
                                Participant

Thanks, BakerAunt. I was thinking next time I will par bake the crust, but perhaps for not as long as usual. I'll search for recommended times specifically for quiche.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.