What are you Cooking the week of February 24, 2019?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the week of February 24, 2019?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Here's a thread for the week's cooking.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

We had breakfast for supper tonight-sausage,eggs and grits.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

We had tuna salad sandwiches.

navlys
          Participant

I signed up for Home Chef meals to try it out and to shake things up in the kitchen. So far the turkey burger with guacamole and roasted sweet potatoes was very good as was the sweet chili pork lettuce wrap. I will make these again. I think you can see the recipes without being a member. I used groupon .

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Our older son has used a couple of those services, although he's a pretty good cook from scratch.

RiversideLen
              Participant

I pulled a couple of meatballs from the freezer, browned them in the convection oven and finished them in a cup of low sodium beef broth. Served them over pasta.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

We had chicken pot pie tonight.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

I cooked a package of black beans on Monday after soaking them overnight. They took a long time to soften while cooking. I later realized the package stated: “Best Before Aug. 2013.” However, the beans did eventually soften.

On Tuesday, I made a big batch of black-bean chili, using leftover cooked ground turkey and leftover crushed tomatoes from the pizza I made last week, orange bell peppers that were a good price at the store, broth I made last week from a rotisserie chicken, a bit of tomato paste, onion, 4 cloves garlic, part of a package of frozen corn kernels in the freezer, 2 tsp. chili powder, ¼ tsp. cayenne, ¼ tsp. ground cumin, and black pepper. I ended up with about 5 ½ quarts. I froze some of it. I also froze 3 cups of the black beans. The remaining chili will provide lunch for the rest of the week.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Tonight I made cubed pork,thickened potatoes and green butter beans.

BakerAunt I don't know why but I've found dry beans take a lot longer to cook than before,even the frozen green butter beans I cooked tonight takes a long time to soften.No telling what goes in our food we buy,fertilizers,fast growing stuff etc.We have lots of vegetable farming around in our county and it's amazing to see how fast they grow bell peppers and other vegetables,then all that water is going in the ground.

Italiancook
                      Participant

Lunch was kielbasa with broccoli. Dinner will probably be tuna salad sandwiches.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

Dinner tonight was Kraft macaroni and cheese. My wife likes it plain, I add ground beef and mushroom soup after dishing hers out.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

We had chicken tenders,mashed potatoes and garden peas.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

I like to add freshly ground black pepper on top of my macaroni and cheese, something to which my college roommate introduced me!

Italiancook
                              Participant

When I was growing up, my mother made mac 'n cheese way too often. It was horrible. Dry, with terrible taste. I could only tolerate her mac 'n cheese during the summer when fresh tomatoes were in the garden. A fresh tomato on top of the macaroni made it tolerable.

Because of so many bad experiences, I've never tried mac 'n cheese as an adult. Once, I made Ina Garten's Four Cheese Penne (or is it 5 Cheese?), and it was good. She has a mac 'n cheese with tomatoes under the bread crumbs that looks good, but my aversion to mac 'n cheese is so strong I probably will never try it.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

Something like beef, macaroni and tomato might work for you.

This is kind of a long-standing family joke. My best friend in college (and best man at our wedding) used to work as a short order cook at a Hot Shoppe on the New York Thruway during the summer. We were roommates for a while, too.

He once offered to make his beef, macaroni and tomato recipe for us. It starts by browning 25 pounds of ground beef. 🙂

Long time Lincoln residents tend to reminisce about the baked macaroni and cheese that they used to have at the cafeteria at Miller & Paine, a department store later acquired by Dillards, but now gone. The local Runza restaurants have what they say is the original Miller & Paine recipe, but I don't think it's quite as good. They also have the Miller & Paine cinnamon roll recipe, which does appear to be pretty close to the original. Of course, Runza pairs it with chili, as EVERYBODY in Lincoln eats cinnamon rolls with chili.

But I was raised on the Kraft version and still like it, though I like to add things like ground beef. We used to add a package of frozen chopped broccoli, it was nutritious and relatively cheap back when that was a major issue. (We tried adding tuna fish to macaroni and cheese once, it was not a big hit.)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.