What are you Cooking the Week of August 28, 2022?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of August 28, 2022?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

August is nearly over, the college football season has started, and the leaves should start turning soon.

So, any fall themed dishes in the works?

I need to process my tomatoes today, and I'll probably make a quick trip to the farmer's market first, to pick up some more sweet corn. I got some from the store the other day, it had some hard kernels in it, I think it had been left on the stalk too long. Late season corn tastes different from early season corn, and it's not just the different varieties.

Spread the word
      cwcdesign
      Participant

It's way too hot and muggy here to start thinking about fall cooking 🙂

chocomouse
        Participant

I have a mess in the kitchen - it's the preserving season of the year! I have salsa started, with about 8 pints of chopped tomatoes draining, and jalepenos, and garlic ready to chop. I probably don't have enough cilantro still growing in my herb planter. I also have about 30 large tomatoes skinned, and ready to process with the stick blender, and then will add diced celery, bell pepper, and onion, and cook down for several hours. I need to get this done today because it is predicted to be 92 tomorrow.

I'm also in the process of making a d'Italini salad, with celery, onion, red bell pepper, summer squash and zucchini, and peas if I can find some in the freezer. Maybe add some sliced black olives, too. We'll have that with grilled pork ribs for dinner.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

We had breakfast for supper...pan fried sausage, rice, eggs and toast.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Sunday Dinner: I am roasting chicken thighs, which we will have with the last of the sweet corn and fresh green beans from our garden.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

We are having BLT's for supper, plus some cantaloupe from the garden.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

Canned 5 quarts of tomato juice today, that gives me 10 for the season. Last year I did 28.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

We had leftover chicken thighs and coleslaw on Monday, along with a bulgur stir-fry I made with frozen broth, red and purple bell pepper, green onion, zucchini and yellow crookneck squash, and mushrooms.

cwcdesign
                    Participant

We had takeout pizza -unusual for us - it’s Harris Teeter’s special on Mondays

chocomouse
                      Participant

BLTs for dinner. Easy prep!

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

We went laptop shopping, both of ours are wearing out. Then we picked up some takeout on the way home.

RiversideLen
                          Participant

I made a sirloin steak, mashed potato and asparagus. I have enough steak for 2 more meals.

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

We had chargrilled chicken breast, black eyed peas, fried okra and jello with a mixture of pears and peaches.

aaronatthedoublef
                              Participant

I barbecued a chicken Sunday. It was a cooler morning and I have not used the Weber in a long time but it still works! I had a little too much smoke, I think. And when I grill it I cannot throw the vegetables in the pan with the chicken.

Not sure what else I'll make this week. And school lunches start tomorrow (Wednesday).

chocomouse
                                Participant

Aaron, if your Weber is big enough, you can still put the veggies on a sheet pan, drizzle with oil and whatever seasonings, and grill them at the same time as the chicken. Just use an old sheet pan (or buy an old one at a yard sale or thrift shop) because it will probably warp and not look so great when done. Or, you could buy what I call a "grill wok", with holes in it, made special for grilling.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.