What are you Cooking the Week of August 28, 2022?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of August 28, 2022?

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    cwcdesign
    Participant

Joan, when you roast beets they have more flavor and are easier to peel than boiled ones. They are actually less messy and easier too. Basically, you cut most of the greens off, put them in a baking pan with a little bit of water, put foil on top and bake low (I think 325º-350º - I can't find my recipe from the Victory Garden Cookbook - for about an hour - if a sharp knife slides in easily, they're done. We always just peeled them under cold water - the skins slip off.

Beets are something I've always loved, my stepfather used to grow them. But, learning to roast them was a game changer.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Dinner tonight was tuna salad in an Amish Paste tomato. I think they may be the most flavorful tomatoes we grow.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Friday night dinner was the last of the turkey-zucchini meatloaf, microwaved fresh broccoli from the farmers' market, and muddled mashed potatoes, using kennebec potatoes from the farmers' market. I leave the skins on and cut them into chunks, then cook in boiling water for about 20 minutes until tender. I drain, saving the water, then I coarsely mash the potatoes, then toss with a bit of avocado oil, a bit of salt, and a bit of potato water.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

We had taco salad tonight.

BakerAunt and Cwcdesign I'm gonna try roasting some beets if I can find some fresh ones.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Joan--Here's how I roasted them:

Trim off where the beet meets the root. Trim off most of the skinny tail. Take a large piece of aluminum foil, drizzle some olive oil in the middle, place beets in center, and sprinkle with 2 Tbs. water. Close the foil to make a packet. Place on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake in pre-heated oven at 400F for 50-75 minutes. The time depends on how large the beets are. They are done when pieced easily with a small sharp knife.

Remove from oven, open the foil, and allow to cool a bit. I use dry paper towels to rub off the skin (try to keep my fingers from changing color!). The beets can then be sliced.

As Len notes, if the beet greens are not wilted, they are nutritious and great to eat. When I buy good ones at the farmers' market, I immediately remove the green from the beets and store them separately in a bag in the refrigerator vegetable drawer.

It was a revelation when I made that Roasted Beet, Spinach [Beet Greens!], and Feta Cheese Flatbread, riffing off of Ken Haedrich's recipe.

cwcdesign
              Participant

Last night I made a Korean beef and noodle dish from Half Baked Harvest - it came out quite well. It called for flank steak or chicken, but I used ground beef which we had in the freezer. I also bought a bag of stir fry vegetables which were on sale to speed up the process. Last week I got a box of 8 of my favorite Lotus brand brown rice noodles from Amazon, much less expensive than buying from the local store.

BakerAunt
                Participant

CWCdesign--that's a great example of using what you have on hand and streamlining the process!

Our Saturday night dinner is Salmon and Couscous with Dill. We had microwaved fresh green beans from the garden.

cwcdesign
                  Participant

Will’s turn tonight - he’s making Basmati rice, chicken sausage and frozen broccoli with tomato and onion sauce(?) - it will be more flavors than sauce.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Tonight we had chargrilled chicken, macaroni and tomatoes, cooked carrots and I used leftover lettuce tomato and cheese from last nights taco salad to make a side salad tonight.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.