What are you Cooking the Week of August 22, 2021?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of August 22, 2021?

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    chocomouse
    Participant

We ate hamburger steaks and summer squash gratin. We did NOT eat the beans we roasted on the grill -- inedible! Yuk. I had drizzled them (green, yellow and purple) with olive oil, fresh minced garlic, and sea salt, and we cooked them in a grill wok. They were dry and shriveled, some chewy, some crunchy, but good flavor. Does anyone cook beans this way? I've read several recipes online, and it certainly seems like a simple process. Oh, and my husband and I grill/roast a lot of different veggies, so it's not like we are not experienced and haven't learned from some past mistakes!! I'd love any suggestions.

RiversideLen
      Participant

Lazy day in the kitchen, I ordered Chinese delivery, had pot stickers and Moo Shu Chicken. I have enough left for tomorrow.

rottiedogs
        Participant

Chocomouse - I grill anything and everything. I have made green beans before. I blanch them and toss with olive oil and oregano. I grill them in a disposable pie pan and at the very end sprinkle with romano cheese. Probably 10 minutes tops depending on the size of the beans. Sometimes I slice mushrooms and toss those in too. You can also roast them in the oven the same way.

chocomouse
          Participant

Thanks, Rottiedogs. I did not blanch them, and we cooked them for probably closer to 15 minutes, with the grill about 400*. I will try again, when the next flush of beans becomes ripe.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

Tonight we had beef and bean enchiladas.

cwcdesign
              Participant

Last night I made a new recipe from my current favorite site, Half Baked Harvest (HBH). It was for chipotle cauliflower tacos. It's funny with a lot of her recipes - the individual parts might be so-so but when you put them all together, they are delicious. The recipe calls for charring the cauliflower, a poblano pepper (store didn't have any, I used green bell pepper) and chopped onions in a large skillet - mine's not large enough so I ended up steaming the veggies, they were still flavorful with the sauce that they simmered in. I did sort of char the frozen corn in a frying pan. But the verde sauce to put on top was delicious - I could eat it off the spoon - jalapeño, mayo/yogurt, bunch of cilantro, some green onions, garlic, honey and lime all whirred up. My tacos fell apart, so I just mushed everything together on a plate and it was wonderful - avocado and feta added to it all. I'm glad I have leftovers for tonight.

Next time I'll either roast or grill the vegetables in a grill pan to get the char. It would be an added step, but one I think would be worth it.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Dinner on Saturday night is boneless pork ribs pan-cooked by my husband, sweet corn bought this morning from the corner stand, and I made that bean salad from Edible Michiana for the third time, but I used a cup of the large white bans that I cooked yesterday in place of the garbanzo beans. The salad is less slimy with these beans rather than the canned black-eyed peas I used the past two times.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

We had tuna melts.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.