What are You Cooking the Week of April 19, 2020?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of April 19, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    RiversideLen
    Participant

I had a pot roast sandwich, mashed taters and broccoli and cauliflower.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

We were originally thinking of having artichokes again, but I had a video conference that ran from 6:30 to 8:30, so we just had leftovers. We'll have the artichokes tomorrow.

RiversideLen
        Participant

I don't understand artichokes, Mike, how do you make those?

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

You cut the stems off, cut the tips off (they're sharp!) and peel off some of the outer leaves. Then you put them in a container with a little lemon juice and water and steam them. If you do it in a pan, it takes 20-30 minutes depending on their size. My wife does them in the microwave in about 10 minutes, you can also do them in an instant pot or pressure cooker.

When you can pull off a leaf easily, they're done.

To eat the outer leaves, you peel them off, dip them in a sauce of your choosing (I like sour cream, my wife likes bleu cheese dressing) and scrape off the inner soft part with your teeth. As you get further in, you can nibble on the edge of the leaf a bit, but if it won't easily come off, it is too fibrous to be edible. If you're fortunate enough to find fresh baby artichokes (about the size of a plum), there's a lot more of it that is edible.

When you get to the center, you scrape out the fuzzy 'choke' with a spoon to get to the heart, which is the best part.

Get a big bowl for the scraps you can't eat. I'm told you can compost them, but I've never done it.

Artichoke have an amplification effect on your taste buds, they enhance the taste of everything else you eat.

chocomouse
            Participant

Dinner was pork chops on the grill, roasted potatoes, winter squash, and green salad.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

We did have artichokes tonight.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

I fired up the smoker grill tonight and smoked chicken that I cut in half,baked beans and coleslaw,saving the other half for another meal later on.I love anything grilled or smoked.When the coals were right I threw on some hickory chips and smoked the chicken indirect ,my grill has a firebox but it's big and just for the one chicken I put the coals at one end of the grill and meat at the other end,smoked it at 225* for two and a half hours was just right.

Italiancook
                  Participant

I'm headed to the kitchen to make rice pudding for a late lunch. I know it sounds strange to have pudding as lunch, but it has milk (protein), rice (starch), 3 eggs (protein), raisins (fruit), white Splenda (non-caloric sweetener), and lots of cinnamon, which helps control blood sugar (so I've read). Sounds like a wholesome lunch to me.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Italiancook--My Mom used to eat rice pudding for breakfast. I also read that in Sweden it is eaten for breakfast. So, rice pudding for lunch is dandy.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

Saturday’s dinner was Salmon and Couscous with Penzey’s Mural seasoning, accompanied by microwaved frozen mixed vegetables

RiversideLen
                        Participant

I made sloppy joes today.

Italiancook
                          Participant

BakerAunt, every time you post about using leftover potato water, I think of someone I knew in a different lifetime. Her mom never used milk or another dairy in her mashed potatoes. She drained the water, then added back enough to mash the potatoes. I've never tried it, because I like and make mashed potatoes the way my mom did, and she used milk.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

I generally use butter and milk. I've tried buttermilk a few times, didn't care for the results. And never Never NEVER garlic! Did I remember to say 'no garlic!'?

I've been tempted to try Joel Robuchon's recipe for mashed potatoes, with all that butter emulsified into it.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

I often add a bit of the potato water into the mashed potatoes, but milk, and a bit of butter is the way I like it.

I have used potato water as the liquid when baking bread.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

We had French toast tonight. Time to make more Challah, I think.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.