What are you Baking the Week of September 12, 2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of September 12, 2021?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I need to make semolina bread soon, just got the last half-loaf out of the freezer. But the baking area of the kitchen is a mess right now, the SubZero repair tech is coming on Tuesday and I have the fridge emptied out and washed it out, plus all the shelves and drawers. (They were threatening to get moldy with the fridge off, and they hadn't been cleaned in a while anyway.) So they're stacked all over the place, and I need to empty the freezer Tuesday morning and take those shelves out as well. We've got a big styrofoam chest that we use when we have to empty the freezer, I may go buy a bag of dry ice Tuesday morning just to keep things plenty cold.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

On Tuesday, I baked my adaptation of Pumpkin Snacking Cake, a recipe that I got several years ago from a special issue fall baking magazine. I had reduced the sugar by 25%; this time I reduced it by a third from the original amount. I also reduced the oil from ½ to 1/3 cup. I like that the recipe uses some spelt, some buckwheat flour, and chia seed. I baked it in a glass dish this time, which worked better than a metal pan, and I used the countertop convection oven so as not to heat up the house on a day when temperatures soared to 88F.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I baked my whole wheat sourdough cheese crackers on Wednesday.

In the evening, I baked a streusel blueberry pie in honor of my younger stepson. (He’s the one on the strict blueberry pie and blueberry cobbler diet.) This time I used the convection setting at 375F.

skeptic7
          Participant

I did an apple pizza today. This is rather plain, just two layers of apples and cinnamon sugar on the pizza crust. Ingredients like nuts and raisins have been left out as they tend to roll off the pizza.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Are there fresh apples available in your area, Skeptic?

Saturday was a busy baking day. I baked Buttermilk Whole Wheat Grape Nuts Bread, a favorite of my husband, who has been hinting he would like it. I also made the dough for another batch of Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers.

skeptic7
              Participant

BakerAunt;
                Yes there are fresh apples available now, the early fall apples like Gala are just coming in. These are however last year's apples. They are Gold Rush which are fabulous keepers. I bought a half bushel this spring -- the orchard has cold storage -- and have been keeping them in my refrigerator since then. They are slightly shriveled but still tasty, I like the flavor better now then when they are fresh picked. These are a very late fall apple normally. I need to eat these to make room for the fall apples.
                I hope to use the next cool day to make apple pies.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Skeptic--I am doing the same thing with all the pumpkin that I froze, so that I can make room for more pumpkin! My issue is that it has been so warm that most items baked with pumpkin or any other fruit or vegetable will only last a day or two, so I end up freezing some of it to pull out later.

aaronatthedoublef
                  Participant

I made schnecken this week! It's the first time I've made them in years. I always think they are sooo complicated and they aren't.

One of my brother's started a text chain asking the kids what their favorite thing was their grandma made and they hall two things one of which was schnecken. And my kids did not know what they were so I had to make them. They needed a little more filling and be more tightly rolled but they were tasty.

I subbed apple cider for the water and used chopped up apples instead of walnuts since Violet doesn't like nuts and Kate wanted an "apple" sweet to serve our neighbors. Then Kate said "these would be really good with walnuts"! 🙂 Next time I will make some with walnuts, some with apples, and some with both!

Italiancook
                    Participant

I made Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake yesterday. Recipe from jennycancook.com. Oil recipe; no butter.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.