What are you Baking the Week of November 28, 2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of November 28, 2021?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Nothing specific planned yet, but I ordered a spiral dough hook and paddle for my nearly 50 year old KA 4.5 quart mixer, 3rd party ones in stainless steel that I found on Amazon. Both of my dough hooks and paddles were the KA coated ones and the coating is badly chipped. They should be here later today, I'll have to try out SOMETHING to test the spiral dough hook (instead of a C hook), I guess.

Spread the word
      cwcdesign
      Participant

I forgot to post last week, but I did make the cranberry pumpkin rolls from KABC.

I made the dough in my Zo, did not add the optional cloves and added 2 teaspoons of the SAF Gold instant yeast - the recipe had called for 1 tablespoon regular instant yeast. I made 24 rolls and put them in a 9x13 pan per PJ's blog post. I let them rise longer than the recommendation, unusual for me down here, but it was fairly cool, They looked puffy but not too the top of the pan like the photo. I was afraid of overproofing so I went ahead and put them in the oven. They rose nicely, were really good and are nice for breakfast. I think another time I could let them rise to the top of the pan. But nobody else noted and they loved them.

BakerAunt
        Participant

As the pumpkin pie has been consumed, I baked the Pumpkin Snacking Cake recipe that we like. I sprinkled brown, orange, and yellow sprinkles on top to make it a “Good-bye to November” cake. That used up a cup of the pumpkin left from the pie pumpkins I roasted last week. I should still have enough for pumpkin sweet rolls later in the week.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I'm probably going to make another sweet potato pie this week, my wife says I can't make another pecan pie for a while. I used Susan Purdy's recipe; it was too good and about double the carbs of the sweet potato pie per slice.

I probably won't blind bake the crust this time, though, because we don't usually blind bake the crust for a pumpkin pie.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

The stainless steel paddle looks good, the dough spiral is a bit loose when attached and it touches the side of the pan every now and then in an empty bowl, even if I adjust the height setting way up. Maybe it won't do that if there's dough in the pan, though. Something to play with tomorrow.

Both are much heavier than the KA versions.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

Hope your paddles work Mike.

I baked the lemon sugar cookies yesterday,they turned out good and bendy.My sister will love these,I'll be seeing her tomorrow.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Enjoy your visit with your sister, Joan!

We have eaten most of the Pumpkin WW Rye Bread, so on Monday, I baked my adaptation of KABC’s Pompanoosuc Porridge Bread. I replaced 1 cup of the white whole wheat flour with regular whole wheat. I reduced the salt from 2 ½ to 1 ½ tsp., and I reduced the yeast from 2 tsp. to 1 ¾ tsp. I replaced 2 Tbs. of sugar with 2 Tbs. of honey and 2 Tbs. of butter with 2 Tbs. avocado oil. I also replaced 1 cup of water with 1 cup buttermilk and added 2 Tbs. special dry milk. The KABC recipe is baked in a pottery bread bowl, but I found it almost too much dough for the bowl; it is very high, which does not work as well for sandwiches. I instead grease my Emile Henry long baker, without its top, and bake for 40 minutes to 200F. As I do with most breads, I set the oven 25 degrees hotter, then drop it after two minutes to the given temperature, which gives it better oven spring. I look forward to slicing this bread for yet another turkey sandwich tomorrow.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I'm going to send the spiral dough hook back, so I'll have to get one of the coated ones at some point, but I think the stainless steel paddle will be fine.

Italiancook
                    Participant

This evening, I mixed the dry ingredients for Oatmeal Coffee Cake and put the lid on the bowl. In the morning, I'll melt the butter (I'm using half butter and half light olive oil). While the butter is cooling, I'll read the news then make the coffee cake for breakfast. It calls for orange zest and all I have are tangerines. Right or wrong, I think of tangerine zest as more bitter than orange. So I'm going to use 1/8 teaspoon orange oil.

I still haven't made Portuguese Bread, Cass. This week, I was waiting for a doctor to call to discuss whether I should have the Covid booster. Because I didn't know when he'd call, I didn't want my hands in dough or to be involved in any other baking project. I didn't want to be distracted from the important phone call. He called late afternoon today. But tomorrow is promised to a workman and Friday to the grocery. So I'm unsure when I'll schedule the fun task of baking a new bread.

chocomouse
                      Participant

I made cookies -- chocolate chunks and whole peanuts, with peanut butter in the dough. Very good.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

After much turkey—my husband had the last of it for a sandwich at lunch—dinner on Friday was my sourdough pan pizza topped with homemade pizza sauce from our garden that I had frozen, Canadian bacon, mozzarella, mushrooms, green onion, red bell pepper from our garden, and black olives on my half. We had it with a salad of wonderful spinach from the farmers market and cherry tomatoes from the grocery store.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

On Saturday, I needed to use up about a cup of pumpkin, so I made up the dough for my adaptation of King Arthur’s Pumpkin Swirl Sweet Rolls. My recipe has more whole grain, some calcium fortification, honey instead of brown sugar as the sweetener, a bit of buttermilk, and 3 Tbs. avocado oil replaces the 4 Tbs. butter. I also use Special Gold yeast. I had to omit the crystalized ginger in the filling as it bothers my husband’s digestive system. I shaped the sweet rolls, covered with saran, and will let them rise overnight in the refrigerator to be baked tomorrow morning, then glazed.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.