What are you Baking the Week of November 1, 2020?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of November 1, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Happy November! How many trick-or-treaters did you have yesterday? We set out two tables of goodies (non-edible, as has been our tradition for about 25 years) and a sign that said 'take 2'. Most people seemed to comply. We think we had about 60 people stop by, which is more than normal.

Spread the word
      RiversideLen
      Participant

It was real light here. I sat with a neighbor in his front yard, he had buckets set out with candy so the little ghosts and goblins could help themselves. Several other neighbors came by and some beverages were consumed.

I'm making a batch of my sandwich buns today.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by RiversideLen.
        Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

One of our neighbors lined their sidewalk with paper bags with treats in them, another did a scavenger hunt using day-glow tape on candies sprinkled in their front yard. (I don't know how well either of them worked yet.)

We were quite pleased with the turnout we got, in fact we might do the self-service method again next year. My wife was talking to most of them through the closed storm door. The camera covering the front door made it easy to see when someone was coming up the steps.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Our area does not get trick-or-treaters, as we are outside the town in what I like to call the rurburbs--not rural, given the density of the houses, but not a suburb per se, as most of the houses are only occupied in the summer or or weekends (or in event of a pandemic). Our area has too much walking for too little potential gain.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

Our usual one trick-or-treater is all we had.

skeptic7
              Participant

I went to a neighborhood parade and gave out my candy there. A lot of it went to the Band Kids from the local high school who came to provide live music during the costume judging contest. This is the first time in years that I wasn't trying to give out candy. I normally don't get too many people, maybe 5 or 6 groups of a couple kids.

skeptic7
                Participant

I just got some organic dark rye flour at the Coop yesterday, about 2 lbs so I can do some experiments over the winter. Any suggestions for very easy bread recipes? Are there other things I should try? KAF was promoting a chocolate cake that looked tasty.
                  Any advice on rye flour in general?

chocomouse
                  Participant

KAF also posted a rye cookie recipe and blog that looks interesting. Rye bread is my favorite, and I make a lot of it. I often add some rye to other bread doughs, which produces a more complex flavor, but certainly not a definitive rye flavor. KAF has a lot of rye bread recipes, and I've probably tried all of them, but by now, I've also tweaked all of them quite a bit!

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

You can put a small amount of rye flour in almost any baked good, it starts to take over the flavor profile once you get past about 15% flour weight, though.

I like adding a small amount (around 5%, no more than 10%) to lean French dough, along the lines of Peter Reinhart's Pain de Campagne in BBA. I tried it with some triticale flour, the resulting baguettes were excellent. Triticale is a wheat/rye crossbreed.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

I've tried around a dozen of the rye bread recipes in Ginsberg's book at this point. I haven't found one that really rings the bell for me, though several of them were very good rye breads. I"m about to jump back into that project, I took the summer off. I'm still searching for an authentic black bread. There was a BBGA thread on rye breads that had a rather complicated rye bread recipe, you bake/steam it for 24 hours. That's on my list of things to try this winter.

My go-to rye bread recipe for about 10 years has been and remains the Marbled Rye bread in BBA, though I do increase the ratio of rye to wheat so that the rye makes up about 40% of the flour. I've gone as high as 50%.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

I love the pumpkin rye recipe on the The YorK Bakers blog. That's Ginsberg of The Rye Baker. I baked it four times last year, and I'm thinking next week might be nice to bake it again.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

I'm making a batch of bagels today.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

On Monday, I baked the All Purpose Buttermilk Maple Bread recipe that I first baked this summer. Based on the previous bake, I used 4 cups whole wheat flour, 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Artisan Bread flour, and ½ cup KAF high-gluten flour that I want to use up. The whole wheat is my substitution. I cut the salt to ½ tsp., and the yeast to 1 ¾ tsp. I added 2 Tbs. flax meal. I let the Zo do the kneading. It was cool in the house, so the first rise (in the 4-qt. dough bucket) took 2 hours. The second rise went an hour and 25 minutes. The bread had excellent oven spring, and I was glad that I used the 10x5 loaf pan. I checked it at 40 minutes, and it needed an additional 5 minutes to get to 194F.

Note: I was already planning to bake this bread before Skeptic posted about the maple syrup. 🙂

Italiancook
                              Participant

KABC had semolina available this evening. Last time I checked, they were out.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

On Tuesday, I baked my Lime-Barley Bundt Cake, using the Celebration Nordic Ware Bundt pan. I used a lime from my own tree, which is now over wintering in our apartment over the garage. I played with the recipe slightly, increasing the barley flour by ¼ cup and decreasing the AP flour by the same amount. I also decreased the sugar by 2 Tbs. I baked the cake for 50 minutes in the second rack position. I glazed the cake with powdered sugar and lime juice. The cake has a lovely tender texture and excellent taste, so I will make the changes permanent.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.