What are you Baking the week of May 31, 2020?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the week of May 31, 2020?

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    cwcdesign
    Participant

Last night I made lava cakes from Brown Eyed Baker. I didn’t cook the long enough to get the cake “shell,” but they still tasted really good. I have 2 more in the freezer which we may eat tonight

skeptic7
      Participant

I did buttermilk cinnamon swirl bread today. I didn't particularly like any of the buttermilk bread recipes I had so I made one up. I wanted to push the envelope of baking in a slow cooker so I mixed the dough, kneaded it, rolled it flat, sprinkled the cinnamon on it and then put it in a loaf pan. From there it went into the slow cooker and I baked it on high without giving it a chance to rise. I was hoping the slow cooker would heat up slowly enough that the bread would rise before baking. It baked for about 3 hours. It would probably have worked better if I baked it on low for 5 hours.
        It did rise to not quite double but its a very dense bread. If this was whole wheat it would be almost inedible, but this is an AP white flour -- Gold Medal Brand. Its soft but dense and possibly like Pan de Pie bread as the top dried out before it could really rise.
        I'm going to do this tonight while I still remember the ingredients and see what this is like if I let it rise before baking.

Ingredients
        1 cup buttermilk
        1 teaspoon yeast
        3 cups all purpose ( Gold Medal Flour )
        1 tablespoon potato flour
        3/4 teaspoon salt
        1 tablespoon sugar
        2 tablespoons butter

3-4 tablespoons brown sugar /cinnamon mix

Joan Simpson
        Participant

I've used buttermilk that has been 2 months past expiration and it was ok.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I've also had buttermilk last well beyond the expiration date, but I've also had some go very quickly, probably not stored right somewhere along the way. What I watch for is mold up the inside of the carton or an off smell, either of those and it is time to toss it.

BakerAunt
            Participant

On Thursday, I made the dough for yet another batch of my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers. I will bake them in four to five days.

RiversideLen
              Participant

I made another batch of my sandwich buns. Even using the reduced amount of yeast, they rose pretty fast.

aaronatthedoublef
                Participant

You all are inspirational! I need to make coffee cake or chocolate cake soon to use up the sour cream we have.

I need to make some English muffins and more sourdough bread. Plus I have two olive bread recipes and a raisin bread recipe to try.

This weekend is supposed to rain so it may be a good time to stay in and bake.

kimbob
                  Participant

Had a taste for peanut butter so made pb choc chip cookies. Used this recipe. https://www.food.com/recipe/peanut-butter-chocolate-chip-cookies-51104

I made half the recipe using chunky peanut butter. Yielded 25 cookies with #40 scoop. Quick, easy and delish!

skeptic7
                    Participant

I redid the buttermilk cinnamon swirl bread, this time letting it rise and rise and rise. I used 1/4 tsp of yeast in the sponge. but let it sit for 3 1/2 hours in a hot kitchen. Yesterday was sweltering. Then I mixed in all the other ingredients into the dough and kneaded it a bit, and then refrigerated the dough overnight. The next morning after the dough was warmed up, I finished kneading the dough and kneading in the butter and about 1/2 cup more flour as the dough was still very soft. I rolled it out and spread with cinnamon sugar. Then rolled it up and put it in the loaf pan. I let it rise almost to the top of the bread pan about 2 hours. I then baked in on high in the slow cooker for 2 1/2 hours to 190 degrees. The bread is soft and high and light. The top crust is unpleasantly pale but the sides are actually a nice light brown.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

On Saturday, I baked the Lime Bundt cake recipe that I developed a couple of years ago. I baked it in a Nordic Ware pan that is the shape and design of a butterfly, coated with The Grease. The pan is one that came from my Mom’s house; she never used it. I baked it on the third rack up, a position that works much better in my oven for Bundt cakes. It took 50 minutes. I cooled it for 15 minutes in the pan before turning it out onto the rack. The design is excellent, perhaps because the pan did not have lots of tiny details, only large ones. (My husband was very impressed.) My favorite glaze, these days, is the thick one from the Blood Orange Bundt cake, with lime substituted for the blood orange. I made a half recipe, then drizzled it into the design and around the edges.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

Its too hot to bake much here right now, highs expected in the mid 90's until Tuesday.

cwcdesign
                          Participant

I made the Rosemary Cheddar quick bread from KAF. Instead of dried rosemary and sage, I used fresh rosemary and time. A nice accompaniment to our salads. This morning it was great toasted with butter and jam

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.