What are you Baking the week of May 31, 2020?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the week of May 31, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    aaronatthedoublef
    Participant

I am a firmer believer that any recipe for home bakers should have an option for mixing by hand.

Joan Simpson
      Participant

Aaron you're a busy baker and good for you!Sounds wonderful.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Aaron--It's only a matter of time before one of us says, to heck with it, and tries Ms. Parks' recipe with a stand mixer.

She also has a Yeasted Pumpkin Bread Recipe. I posted the link here at Nebraska Kitchen and started a discussion thread about it. Len and I both made the bread, and darn it, we used our mixers, not the food processor on which she insists. I even substituted in 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour, and made up the rest of the weight with the bread flour the recipe specifies. Both Len and I were pleased with how hour loaves turned out.

So, one of these days....

As for all the orders, clearly the word is getting around that you have superior baked goods!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by BakerAunt.
          BakerAunt
          Participant

When I was at the grocery on Sunday morning to get bananas, an essential fruit in our house. I saw a bag of five Bosc pears for 99 cents in the clearance section. While they had splotches, that is not out of the ordinary, and Bosc pears are a favorite of mine, and I have been missing fresh fruit. I bought them, having no idea what I would bake with them. I found a recipe at the KAF website for Pear and Cherry Almond Streusel Pie. I had all the ingredients, including dried cherries. I baked the pie on Monday evening. I used my oil crust (recipe posted at Nebraska Kitchen) in a 9-inch Emile Henry deep pie dish. I was a little short on the pears (2 lbs. 10 oz. rather than 3 lbs.). I used 170 g dried cherries rather than 142g because I wanted to use up the bag. (These were from Bob’s Red Mill, and they stopped carrying most dried fruit almost 2 ½ years ago.) I reduced the sugar from ¾ to ½ cup. Pears are naturally sweet, and there is a streusel topping. I replaced the 6 Tbs. of instant Clearjel with 2 tsp. tapioca and allowed the fruit, sugar, and tapioca to rest for 20 minutes. While I parbaked the pie shell for 12 minutes, I par-cooked the filling in a skillet on the stove top. I do so with all my fruit fillings with streusel toppings in parbaked crusts. I stirred in a scant tsp. almond extract at the end. (I didn’t want to fetch another bottle for the full tsp.) I halved the topping ingredients, except that I cut the butter down to 2 Tbs. I sprinkled the bottom of the pie shell with a bit of Panko to soak up excess juice and keep the crust crispy. I baked at 425F for 10 minutes, then reduced to 375F and baked for about 35 minutes. We shall cut into it tomorrow.

aaronatthedoublef
            Participant

BA, the pie sounds wonderful.

I made a sourdough again. Last time it looked dry so I added extra water. I had a softer crust but a very high oven spring. This time I resisted the urge to use water and had very little oven spring. I'll see how the crust is later. But it looks like I have to find the balance in hydration.

As for Ms. Parks recipe, I may try an experimental batch this weekend just to see if I can make it in a mixer. Some of the commenters/questioners on the site swear they've done it.

I'll probably use the paddle instead of the dough hook since it's very loose.

skeptic7
              Participant

I baked a new bread today. It was "Yeast Raised Honey Cornbread". from "Great Whole Grain Breads" by Beatrice Ojakangas.
                This has the same ingredients as a Yankee style cornbread with 1 cup cornmeal, 1 cup whole wheat flour and 2 tablespoons honey. However it also calls for 1 package yeast. I used white all purpose flour instead of whole wheat, and buttermilk instead of 2/3 cup dried milk and 1 cup of water.
                I changed the recipe procedure slightly. I proofed the yeast in the buttermilk, and then added 1 cup of cornmeal and let this sit for maybe half an hour as a quick sponge. I added the other ingredients and then baked this in the slow cooker for about 2 1/2 hours until it reached 190 degrees. Nice bread, not sweet.

BakerAunt
                Participant

I have that baking book (or think I do!), Skeptic. I'll have to check out that bread.

Temperatures reached the 90s this Tuesday, but we were out of bread, so I started the dough around noon. I made another attempt at Bernard Clayton’s Dark Grains Bread, from his revised New Complete Book of Breads (223-225). I have made it before, but each time, I had a bit of sag in the middle of the loaf. I followed my usual changes, although I reduced the yeast to 3 ¾ tsp, but I replaced the 1 ½ cups of bread flour with 1 cup high gluten flour (have it and need to use it) and ½ cup plus 3 Tbs. bread flour. It took about nine minutes of kneading on speed 3 of my Cuisinart 7-qt. stand mixer to get a windowpane. The first rise took 58 minutes. I shaped, then let rest 5 minutes, then did final shaping. The second rise took 50 minutes. I baked it for 47 minutes and it was at 203F and maybe a little dark. There is still some slight dimpling, but the loaves look good. We will slice into one for lunch tomorrow.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

I highly recommend that Pear and Cherry pie filling recipe. We cut into it for dessert this evening, and it is delicious. I'm glad that I reduced the sugar in the filling to 1/2 cup and used just half the streusel. It is the perfect degree of sweetness.

kimbob
                    Participant

Baking one our favorites from the KAF Whole Grain Baking book -- sour cream muffins.

kimbob
                      Participant

Decided to make some cake donuts, too.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

I'm very pleased with the Dark Grains Bread I baked yesterday. The texture is good--firm but soft. It will be great on open-face sandwiches. I am not always a fan of molasses in bread, but I like how it worked with my combinations. Using that cup of high-gluten flour gave the bread the structure it needs.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

I baked a pan of brownies from scratch and they are pretty good.

skeptic7
                            Participant

Has anyone had their buttermilk become more sour? I've had one jar in the refrigerator for several months. I used it in cornbread the other day and I could taste the sourness. This cornbread was lower in sugar than other recipes.

RiversideLen
                              Participant

I didn't know you could keep buttermilk that long. If I don't think I'm going to use the buttermilk before it hits the exp date, I portion it in one cup servings and freeze it.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

I've used buttermilk past the expiration date without issue. How long is too long may depend on the brand of buttermilk. I always shake it before using.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.