What are you Baking the Week of May 15, 2022?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of May 15, 2022?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I am thinking I will do a batch of Moomies buns today and probably also a batch of banana nut muffins, because we're just about out of both.

I still need to make semolina bread but I may wait a day or two for that.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

On Monday morning, I baked my Pumpkin Snacking Cake, which should keep us in dessert for three days. Given that the weather has cooled, and it was only in the 70s today, I also took the opportunity to bake another batch of the orange pecan biscotti, so that I can take advantage of the zest from my remaining Cara Cara oranges. I also baked Dutch Oven rolls (2/3 whole wheat) to go with the stew we had for dinner

Joan Simpson
        Participant

I baked a small pan of corn bread to go with beef stew.

kimbob
          Participant

Yesterday I made a batch of blondies in a brownie pampered chef pan that has 12 square little individual pans. My recipe filled 11 of them. My great niece's and nephew's school has fund raising events and that's where I got the pan. All I had to do was adjust the baking time and lower the temp to 325. They came out fine. I haven't been baking at all. The only thing I do is make yogurt weekly.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I waiting until last night to make my banana nut mini-muffins because I was waiting for a new mini-muffin pan to test.

It is a CasaWare pan with a ceramic coating on it ordered through Amazon. I used it for all 5 batches last night (120 mini-muffins), lightly buttering the pan before each batch, and it worked great, they all came out cleanly and I can wipe off the excess off the top with a soft cloth. I'm ordering another one soon and the old ones will be retired.

cwcdesign
              Participant

I did bake brownies two weeks ago which were requested by one of my cooks at work. I still have some of Will's sourdough in the freezer, but I have to start thinking about baking some bread in the next week or so. I also need to feed the starter and try to use some in some of the bread I will bake for me.

I do need to purchase that long baker with my gift card. Even though it's a gift card, I'm still having trouble getting my head around spending that much money.

chocomouse
                Participant

I baked two loaves of rye bread this morning. And also made a rhubarb upside down cake, with a maple topping. The tartness of rhubarb was kind of lost in the sweetness of the maple syrup. I think it would be really good with apples, and a tablespoon or two of bourbon. Or the bourbon barrel aged syrup.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

On Wednesday morning, I baked a small Bundt cake, using a recipe originally for a Bundt loaf pan. The recipe is Blood Orange Yogurt Loaf, but I replace a third of the flour with barley flour, and I use avocado oil rather than coconut oil, and add a tablespoon of milk powder. The cake will rest overnight. Tomorrow I will make a glaze for it. I still have four blood oranges, so I will zest and juice them and freeze it for another cake later in the summer

I also baked two loaves of my Buttermilk Whole Wheat Grape Nuts Bread. I experimented a bit by dropping the salt to 1 tsp. for the two loaves and reducing the yeast by 1/4 tsp. I have been concerned about excess sodium in the bread since the Grape Nuts and malted milk powder also have sodium. It is my husband's favorite bread, but his blood pressure has been higher than it should be, so I hope this works.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

I baked oatmeal cookies with coconut and chocolate chips today.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

I baked my Scottish Scones (no butter, just a bit of oil) recipe on Thursday, this time using half whole wheat pastry flour and half regular pastry flour, with a tablespoon of avocado oil rather than canola oil. We had them with leftovers at dinner.

I also made dough for my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers. I will bake them sometime next week.

chocomouse
                        Participant

I made a dozen burger buns.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

I still need to make semolina bread, but I think I'll wait and do it on Saturday.

I also want to try a Ginsberg rye recipe this weekend, but it calls for sunflower and flax seeds. I do have some flax seeds but they're quite old and I should just recycle them.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

I'm reluctant to use flax seeds, since the human digestive system cannot break them down to avail itself of the nutrition. I often wonder what the point is of adding them to breads, although some people may like the crunch. I want to try that one flax seed bread recipe again but see if substituting sunflower seed in the soaker will work just as well. My attempt to use flax meal instead did not go so well.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

This Ginsberg recipe (Danish rye or ragbrot) starts with an overnight scald/soaker of rye flour, sunflower seeds and flax seeds, so that may soften the flax to the point where some of it can be digested.

I'm also planning to make semolina bread today and a chocolate genoise sheet cake (to go with some fresh strawberries.) Taking advantage of the weekend's cool temperatures!

chocomouse
                                Participant

Cool temperatures? It is 94* here right now! Hotter tomorrow, with severe thunderstorms forecast for the afternoon, bringing in a cooler front. This is the second weekend this month with 90s, very unusual for Vermont.

I baked foccacia early this morning, topped with Herbes de Provence.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.