What are you Baking the Week of May 15, 2022?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of May 15, 2022?

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

The low here tonight is currently predicted to be 37, the prediction just went down a degree again. Wind from the NNW which is right into the garden, so I'm hoping it doesn't get so cold it affects my garden.

I made 2 loaves of semolina bread today plus a 10x15 chocolate genoise, which we will cut into squares and have with strawberries for dessert. I used Susan Purdy's recipe, it was fairly easy to follow.

IMG_0215

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

We had some of the chocolate genoise with strawberries and a little milk, and then tried drizzling some chocolate ganache on it, too. Both very good. The chocolate in the genoise could be a little more assertive, I may try either using dutch chocolate or increasing the amount of cocoa. (We're kind of spoiled by the CHOCOLATE in crazy cake or Texas Chocolate Sheet Cake.)

The plan for tomorrow is to make some pastry cream and try cake, pastry cream, cake, ganache and strawberries. (It needs a fifth component, maybe some chopped pecans?)

I'm probably going to freeze half of what's left (12 pieces roughly 3x3.)

BakerAunt
        Participant

Sounds delectable, Mike!

Saturday brought some rain and cooler temperatures, so it was an excellent day to try baking bread in the cloche that I acquired through Skeptic last fall. I checked online and decided to season the bottom with avocado oil (high smoke point to 500F). For the recipe, I started with the Crusty Cloche Bread at King Arthur but proceeded to change most of the ingredients to make it more whole grain and to include buttermilk. I let the bread machine do the mixing and kneading. After the first rise, I sprinkled the cloche bottom with farina, then shaped the loaf and put it in the cloche to rise for 30 minutes. The King Arthur recipe uses a cold oven, so I decided to try that way. After I slashed the loaf, I put it into the mostly cold oven (was still warm from seasoning the cloche bottom), set the temperature to 400, then started timing. After 35 minutes, I removed the top and let it go another 10. The loaf was beautiful. We had some with dinner tonight, and we all agreed that it is delicious.

I had looked at a video at Breadtopia about using clay bakers, and I think it helped me with shaping the boule. The video also gave suggestions on how to transfer a loaf from a banneton to a hot surface, so if I try preheating the cloche, I will also try those techniques.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.