What are You Baking the Week of January 13, 2019?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of January 13, 2019?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Here's this week thread.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

On Sunday, I baked my wholegrain pumpkin bread (a recipe low in saturated fat). I baked it as 6 small loaves and froze there. I used the recipe Lemonpoppy posted on the Baking Circle, and that Rottiedogs kindly posted here, but I made the changes noted in my comments on the recipe.

On Monday, I baked Malted Whole Grain Rolls, a KAF recipe:
        https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/malted-whole-grain-rolls-recipe

I substituted in 1 cup buttermilk and soaked the malted whole wheat flakes for 30-40 minutes before combining ingredients. I don’t think rolled grains work so well when KAF recipes just throw everything together and mix. I added 1 Tbs. honey to help prevent staling (a tip from Cass in the past). I reduced the salt from 1 ½ tsp. to 1 tsp. I used my bread machine to mix the dough. After the initial 5 minutes of mixing, I waited a couple of minutes (it has a 5-minute rest), then added the 2 Tbs. of oil. That was another tip from Cass, about a year ago. Although I own the “Tear and Share” baker, I’ve no idea where it is, and it makes huge rolls. Instead, I used a 9x9-inch pottery baker that also came from KAF, but it was made by an old, established family pottery Hartstone Pottery in Zanesville, Ohio, that went out of business a couple of years ago, probably due to cheaper ceramic bakers and dishes from China. The rolls baked beautifully. I'll add a note after we taste them.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by BakerAunt.
        • This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by BakerAunt.
        skeptic7
        Participant

I was snowed in so I bake a pan of cornbread yesterday and two batches of biscotti which are discussed in last week's thread.
          I had the oven on for most of the day as it didn't seem worth while to let it cool between batches of cookies. It was so comforting to have a warm oven on a cold day.

Next snow day I am going to consider cooking a ham as that will fill the oven for a long time. Or a stew recipe that I would normally cook in a slow cooker so I can use the oven for heat. Cook's illustrated has most of its stew recipes in a dutch oven for hours in the oven.
          Can anyone recommend a good recipe for pork shoulder that can be braised for hours in the oven? Pork is amazingly cheap right now. I think my father used to do pork shoulder with turnips and ginger and soy sauce.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

This is what I do for pulled pork using pork shoulder in a slow cooker, but it should work in the oven as well.

Put the pork shoulder in a pot that isn't too much bigger than it is. Add a half cup of Worcestershire and then fill the pan with apple juice until the shoulder is fully covered. Cook (probably at 350) until falling-apart tender.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

A few days ago I pulled my sourdough starter out to feed and get ready for baking,after about 5 feedings I baked a loaf yesterday.It was OK,just not as light as it should have been so I mixed up another one last night and it's rising now.It should be better as it rose higher in the bowl than the other one ...so we shall see today.

chocomouse
              Participant

Baker Aunt, I just found a recipe on the KAF site and immediately thought of you! It's the Buckwheat and Mushroom Stromboli. I'm out of buckwheat flour right now, so have not made it yet, but will stop at KAF next Monday to get more. Of course, I think the dough could be made into any kind of rolls or bread, and any of your preferred veggies, meats, cheeses could be used for the filling. I can almost taste it now, with a bowl of the mushroom soup I made yesterday! I also think it would travel well, in a cooler, on your trip!

BakerAunt
                Participant

On Tuesday, I baked another recipe of the Easy Italian Honey Whole Wheat Breakfast Cookies. This time I again used ½ tsp. vanilla, but I only used 3 drops of the Fiori di Sicilia; I also baked the double recipe of Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers from the dough I made last week. As an experiment, I did not sprinkle them with Kosher salt. We will see if reducing the salt in this way works for us.

Thanks, Chocomouse. It's too late for this trip, but I'll check it out for baking when we get back. I've been buying my buckwheat flour (and much of my specialty flours and grains) from Bob's Red Mill by the case (four in a case), which reduces the individual package price. I wait to order from them until I'm buying enough for free shipping, and sometimes they run discounts.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I'm baking Vienna bread tonight.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

I cut the second loaf of sourdough this am and it's much better,nicer texture and not as dry,made really good toast and cut nice.

RiversideLen
                      Participant

Today before I braved the outside for snow removal duties, I made brownies from a box mix (Ghirardelli's). I subbed half the oil with Greek yogurt, doubled the water to 1/2 cup and added a half cup of oats to it. That's how I usually do it, it has the texture of a cake when done like that, and since it has oats I tell myself it's now a health food. When I came back in the house, it smelled like chocolate heaven. Then I baked a batch of burger buns using part whole wheat and rye.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I made a batch of banana nut mini-muffins last night.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

Wednesday evening, I baked Oat Bran Pumpkin muffins from a recipe I posted here. I made six large ones, so that we can have them for travel breakfasts. We stay at Day's Inns, mostly because they allow dogs, and there is a complimentary breakfast, but these vary. The first one really didn't have anything that we could eat. The second one had funny tasting oatmeal, which we both had. I had an egg, which must have been made from liquid eggs, as it was yellow and round, some orange juice, and a Yoplait non-fat vanilla yogurt. Then I went back to the room and had my own coffee and a muffin.

skeptic7
                            Participant

Saturday I baked a pan of whole wheat carrot scones with dates instead of raisins. Delicious! I took it to martial arts and gave most of it away

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.