What are you baking the week of February 4th, 2018

Home Forums General Discussions What are you baking the week of February 4th, 2018

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

For Thursday breakfast, I baked Cherry Almond Muffins this morning, from The Baking Shet 20.4 (Summer 2009), p. 13. I've not baked this recipe in a while. I substituted in 1 cup of whole wheat pastry flour for a cup of the white flour, I reduced the sugar from 1/2 to 1/3 cup, and the salt from 1/2 to 1/4 tsp. I added 1/3 cup powdered milk ( to increase the calcium) and 1 Tbs. flax meal. It calls for an 8-10 oz. jar of "high-quality" cherry preserves. I use Kozlowski Farms Old Fashioned Cherry Jam (10.5 oz.), which Tuesday Morning and T.J. Maxx carry (part of the baking stash I brought with me to Indiana). I sprinkle them with the KAF sparkling white sugar. The recipe makes 14 muffins, so I had to grease two custard cups in addition to the muffin pan. I baked for 20 minutes--the recipe says 22-24 minutes--but probably 18-19 would be better.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by BakerAunt.
      skeptic7
      Participant

Tuesday, I did very boring wholewheat gingerbread scones from my tried and true recipe. I had a little grated ginger as well as powdered ginger and candied ginger.

BakerAunt
        Participant

After Thursday dinner, I baked Snickerdoodle Drops--an oatmeal variation from a recipe card that Quaker Oats included with a cookbook sometime in the 1980s. I've baked it once before, and my note says it was a hit at church and at home. They were as delicious as I remembered--a slightly crisp yet chewy cookie with just the right amount of cinnamon.

When I retired and moved to Indiana, I lost two major groups of test subjects for baked goods. 🙁

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Put a sign in your yard that says, "I bake, testers needed", and you'll meet lots of new friends. (This sort of thing works in small towns better than it does in a city.)

BakerAunt
            Participant

We are outside the town. Our area has only a small percentage of full-time residents. For most people, these are vacation or summer residences, with the occasional weekend visit. I will need to refine my schemes for pulling in testers.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Today I baked my first recipe from Stanley Ginsberg's The Rye Baker, which I bought late last year. I baked Salty Rye Rolls (Sigteboller), a Danish bread. I chose this recipe in part because it does not require a rye starter. I weighed all the ingredients. It was kneaded on speed 2 (he uses a KA, but I have a Cuisinart) for almost 8 minutes. It was a very nice dough with which to work. As I shaped the rolls after the first rise, I understood why people refer to rye dough's "clay-like" texture. The bottom of the rolls are dipped in rolled oats. I found that the oats were not sticking, so I rubbed a bit of water on the bottom of each, before dipping in the oats. (I think 3/4 cup oats is too much, as I have at least half the oats left over.) When I went to slash them, I had some difficulty because they are so lightweight, they were moving when I tried to slash, and they had a bit of a "skin" on them. Perhaps a knife would have worked better than the razor blade for a 1/4 to 1/2 inch slash. Most of mine do not have good slashes. Instead of brushing them generously with water, I spritzed them well before sprinkling on the caraway and salt. Each was to be sprinkled with 1/4 tsp caraway and 1/4 tsp. salt, but I used about 1/8 tsp. for each. They baked well, and the aroma was wonderful. We will have them with leftover stew tonight, and I'll post an update about taste and texture.

Addendum: I will definitely bake these rolls again. They have a chewy outer crust and soft interior. I think that cutting the salt and the caraway in half in the topping was a good idea. I had one as a tuna sandwich today, and it was great.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

When I took my pastry course at SFBI, I bought one of their lame holders. It uses an old-fashioned double edge razor blade (which they also sell), with the blade curved somewhat so you get a nice cut, what some bakers call an 'ear'.

I find that works better than any knife or other type of lame I've tried.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

I was using the Zotuba lame that I bought from KAF. It has worked well on loaves. I'm not sure what happened here.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Baked The Lil Chocolate cake one layer with chocolate buttercream icing also my husbands favorite.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

Today I baked Christmas Crispbread (Julknackebrod) from the recipe in Beatrice Ojakangas' The Great Scandinavian Baking Book (pp. 59-60). I substitute in buttermilk (the first jar of my newly cultured batch) for the regular milk, It's the third time I have baked this recipe (first time was last Christmas Eve), which has become my husband's favorite cracker. As an experiment, I reduced the yeast by 1/4 tsp.. The recipe calls for two packets, so I used 4 1/4 tsp.; it may be that 4 tsp. would be sufficient. It was a good project for a cold afternoon with plenty of snow on the ground outside and a frozen lake.

chocomouse
                        Participant

Today I baked Maple-Coconut cookies and Bacon-Cheddar scones. I'm experimenting with the cookies, and this time I doubled the recipe. I lost a little of the chewiness that I love. Next time, I'll try subbing oatmeal for the coconut, and make the original batch-size, which made 26 2" cookies.

RiversideLen
                          Participant

I made light rye sandwich buns. I used 2 ounces of KAF pumpernickel, 5 ounces whole wheat and 7 ounces bread flour. I normally just make this with 7 ounces each of whole wheat and bread flours but wanted to try it with a little rye. The buns came out beautiful but I haven't tasted it yet.

wonky
                            Participant

I baked 6 loaves of pomegranate Bread, and 4 pans of blueberry infused dried cranberry dinner rolls.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by wonky.
                            Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.