What are you Baking the Week of February 26, 2023?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of February 26, 2023?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Nothing planned here yet this week.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

For breakfast on Sunday, I made Cornmeal-Pumpernickel Waffles. I froze the leftovers for quick breakfasts.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/233353/georgia-cornbread-cake/

I have made this before and made again today really good bars and no corn meal at all.It is very moist and chewy bars almost like a pecan brownie but no chocolate.I ground my pecans to almost pecan meal and they were delicious.My niece came today for a visit so I sent them home with them.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I have another batch of peanut butter cookies in. These are a good snack for both of us, because we don't eat half the batch in one sitting.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

I blind baked a pie crust from the freezer and made a lemon pie. new recipe for me , we'll see how it sets and will cut later tonight.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

The latest batch of peanut butter cookies also came out a bit crunchy, though not as dark as the previous batch. I took them out of the oven fully 2 minutes earlier. I wonder if my oven setting was a few degrees higher? (It's a dial, not a digital setting.)

Otherwise, I don't know what I'm doing differently from the first few batches.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

The pie turned out great and cut nicely. My mom always made the best lemon meringue pie with condensed milk but mine never set up very good,the recipe I made today was cooked filling with cornstarch and flour.The recipe is

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/15093/grandmas-lemon-meringue-pie/

BakerAunt
                  Participant

Like Joan, I baked a pie on Tuesday, but mine was an apple pie with crumb topping. I have enough Winesaps for one more pie.

chocomouse
                    Participant

I tried a new recipe for Spoon Rolls from the Lodge company yesterday. It was interesting, as it called for both yeast and self-rising flour, and required no kneading as it made a batter type dough. I don't use self-rising flour so substituted AP and baking powder. It made a lovely batter, easily scooped into the mini-cake cast iron baking pan. The rolls are different, neither a dinner roll nor a muffin type. They were not as good, naturally, as a true yeasted dinner roll, but they were quick, easy, and ready to eat in 30 minutes. They were a little bland, but would be quite tasty with the addition of grated cheese, a few red pepper flakes, or an herb mix. However, I had one for lunch today and it simply disintegrated, crumbling into pieces. My husband had one for breakfast, split, toasted, and buttered, and said it did not crumble at all. Does anyone have any thoughts about what might have caused this to happen, and remedies I could try? I can post the recipe if that would help, and it is on their website.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

I baked Pumpkin Oat Muffins for breakfast on Thursday. I made the recipe as six large muffins and froze five for quick breakfasts. In the afternoon, I baked my Lime Pecan Biscotti, using the last of the limes from this past year.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I figured out why the last two batches of peanut butter cookies came out so dark, I mis-read the baking time as 20 minutes, not 12. :sigh:

navlys
                          Participant

Sally's baking addiction soft baked white chocolate cranberry cookies! They are great!

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

Today's batch of peanut butter cookies were baked for 12-13 minutes and are nice and chewy.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

On Saturday, I baked a recipe from Stanley Ginsberg's rye blog, "Anise-Fennel Loaves/Ragkakor (Sweden)," which I have wanted to try for some time. I made a few swaps by using buttermilk rather than whole milk, using the special gold yeast (and thereby reducing the instant yeast by half), and replacing the 50 g of butter (about 4 Tbs.) with 3 Tbs. avocado oil. I altered the mixing by proofing the yeast in the warmed buttermilk and light corn syrup before mixing in the medium rye flour with the salt and seeds. While the paddle was running, I drizzled in the avocado oil. I was unable to knead this dough in my 7-qt. Cuisinart, which is a problem that comes up for me repeatedly with some of these heavy rye breads. The spiral just makes a hole in the center, and no amount of repositioning the dough solves that problem. So, I removed the dough from the machine and kneaded it for 10 minutes. After the first rise, shaping, and second rise, I used a bamboo skewer (he says a chopstick or fork) to poke holes over the surface of each of the four small loaves. I used a 1 ¼ inch biscuit cutter to cut the center out of each one. I baked them for 20 minutes, taking the small baked centers out at 15 minutes, then baked another 90 seconds, as they were not quite to temperature. The shape is reminiscent of a large, flattened on the bottom bagel. I'm planning on having one either for breakfast tomorrow or for lunch.

Here's the link to the recipe in case anyone is interested. Note that these are 100% medium rye"

chocomouse
                                Participant

I made another double batch of the Chewy Peanut Butter cookies, and again added a couple handfulls of chocolate chips. I baked them for 10 minutes at 350* and they are perfect.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.