What are you Baking the Week of February 26, 2023?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of February 26, 2023?

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    aaronatthedoublef
    Participant

I made my sandwich loaf and then tried to make sub rolls and they looked more like Olive Garden bread sticks. So I need some work there. Have any of you made sub rolls?

Sub-rolls-fail-small-03042023

Also, as I've tamed the sour the bread seems flat, like it needs salt. I may add some herbs and see if that helps. Salt is about 1.5%

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I've made sub rolls using the Chicago Metallic 5-sandwich roll pan that King Arthur used to sell, though I haven't done them lately. The pan helps to keep the rolls straight. I shape them somewhat like a baguette, just not as long:

Scale, round and allow to rest, then flatten to somewhat circular or oval shape. Fold the top down 2/3 of the way, fold the bottom up to the top. Seal with edge of hand, then fold the bottom up to the top twice, then seal with hand, roll to desired length and put on tray seam down. Some people like to exaggerate the narrowness of the end to a long point, but I prefer to use my hand or bench knife to make the end more or less flat once or twice, I think it makes for a more uniform diameter.

Here's the recipe that came with the pan:
        https://mynebraskakitchen.com/wordpress/forums/topic/hoagiesandwich-rolls/

BakerAunt
        Participant

I also have and use the Chicago Metallic 5-well sandwich pan. I agree with Mike: it is the best for shaping and baking the rolls.

I had half of one of the little Swedish breads for breakfast this morning. It is a heavy bread, and I think it would go best with cheese or with egg salad. I had one for breakfast with some Land' o Lakes light butter canola spread. My husband tried one of the "holes" and told me that he will not be fighting me for more.

I did reduce the fat by not using butter or whole milk, so that might have made a difference, but I think it is meant to be a heavy bread, one that would work well for open-faced sandwiches. I am not sure that I will bake it again.

aaronatthedoublef
          Participant

Thanks Mike. Thanks BA. I'm am out of space for new pans and I still need a couple of full size sheet pans. I may invest in a couple of couches. I can fold those and they take less space.

Mike, I did try to shape these like baguettes. Instead of a proofing board I used the back of a half sheet and I know I did not flour it enough so it was hard to take them of the pan and onto the stone. Thinking about this as I type, I could have just put the whole pan into the oven... As Homer Simpson's baker brother said "dough!"

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

One of the two loaves of semolina bread I baked yesterday came out nearly perfect, nicely shaped then fully proofed and baked. The other had some shaping issues, but was properly proofed and baked.

Not sure the one loaf would be sellable, but it doesn't matter if we're the ones eating it.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Aaron--The pan is 12 1/2 x 18 inches and would fit inside a sheet pan for storage. The holes in the bottom of the pan help with browning.

The small rye breads I baked worked perfectly using a half for an open-faced egg salad sandwich. I like the combination.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

Good luck finding that sandwich loaf pan, though, King Arthur dropped it years ago and although I know it is a Chicago Metallic product, I've never seen it on their website or on other sites that carry their pans. I've seen a similar pan, but it is more heavy duty and quite a bit more expensive.

aaronatthedoublef
                  Participant

Looking online I can find sub roll pans but not the Chicago Metallic. I bet I can on eBay. But I'd rather just form these by hand.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

The primary advantage the pan has is it tends to keep the rolls more uniform, without developing bends. If you're making sub sandwiches, that's a big plus.

You still have to shape the rolls by hand.

Putting baguettes in a couche serves a similar function during final proofing, it probably also affects how they rise and how the surface ripens, which would impact how easy it is to slash them.

Transferring them to a peel or pan for baking using a baguette flip board is something I've not had a lot of practice with.

Italiancook
                      Participant

Aaron, a while back I bought a sub set from KABC. It came with 2 silicone pans and flour. I've spent a fair amount of time on their website and can't find it. I guess they discontinued it.

I also looked at Wasserstrom.com for you. Here's a link to a high-priced Chicago Metallic sub pan that comes in a case of 6. . . and a more reasonably-priced silicone pan that looks similar to what KABC sold me . . . don't know if it's the same product. I have purchased from Wasserstrom a few times & been happy with product and delivery time, so I hope you have a good experience if buy from them.
                        https://www.wasserstrom.com/restaurant-supplies-equipment/SearchDisplay?authToken=-1002%252CikG1Jp6Tgr6XwX4T8wqbt%252Bcvf23%252BuN%252BgRtLYSeBqhHU%253D&categoryId=&storeId=10051&catalogId=3074457345616677089&langId=-1&sType=SimpleSearch&resultCatEntryType=2&showResultsPage=true&searchSource=Q&pageView=&beginIndex=0&pageSize=20&searchTerm=sub+roll+pan#facet:&productBeginIndex:0&facetLimit:&orderBy:&pageView:grid&minPrice:&maxPrice:&pageSize:&catalogMode:&

aaronatthedoublef
                        Participant

Thanks everyone.

According to Bing Chicago Metallic sub roll pans can be found at a Sysco about 10 miles away from my house. I'll check to see if they actually have them. There are other ones available on Amazon but I haven't looked to much. I need a couple full size sheet pans and a couple of BIG bowls for challah so I can do this all in one trip.

I still like a couche because I can use it for this or baguettes or other things then brush it, fold it, and slide it away.

I used a flip board at Uncle Matt's. It's pretty neat how something so simple can make a big difference.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.