What are You Baking the Week of August 29,2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of August 29,2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

For Sunday lunch, I baked, for the first time, an adaptation of “Free Form Zucchini & Tomato Tart,” from Ken Haedrich’s Dinner Pies: From Shepherd’s Pies and Pot Pies to Turnovers, Quiches, Hand Pies, and More (p. 115), which was published in 2015. I bought it shortly after the publication but had not gotten around to trying the recipes, in part because of the butter crusts. However, I have had success adapting free form tarts to stationary tart pans. I used ¾ of my oil-based crust, which includes whole wheat pastry flour, and used 1/3 olive oil and 2/3 canola oil in the crust, along with the usual buttermilk. I put it in a 9-inch Emile Henry ceramic tart dish. I had two small green zucchini and a small yellow one, which I used, along with tomatoes from our garden. I followed his directions except that I did not “salt liberally” or as often as he does. (There is salt in the crust, salt in the Parmesan, salt in the panko crumbs.) I did not use the optional 3-4 Tbs. heavy cream. I was able to par-bake the crust and bake the tart in the countertop oven. I had ¼ of it for lunch. I hope that the rest will re-heat well for lunches into the week. I would make it again. I did make the error of putting the topping on before baking it, instead of waiting half an hour. It might have been crunchier if I had, but I thought it was fine anyway.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

We are out of semolina bread, but I'm not sure I've got the energy or time to make it today and do 30 pounds of tomatoes. And tomorrow's calendar is pretty full already.

BakerAunt
        Participant

We are almost out of bread--just enough for my husband's lunch today and tomorrow--but with heat and record humidity, I am trying to hold off baking bread until Monday evening, when it is supposed to cool down.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

I baked two loaves of banana bread today,will gift one to somebody.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I may go ahead and start the semolina bread tonight, so we've got it for meals tomorrow.

chocomouse
              Participant

Today I baked 2 loaves of bread - a pumpernickel and a garlic-herb sandwich loaf. We have not cut into either one yet, but they rose beautifully and smell great.

You need to click on the photo to enlarge it and see the entire picture.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by chocomouse.
                • This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by chocomouse.
                Attachments:
                You must be logged in to view attached files.
                skeptic7
                Participant

Chocomouse; your bread looks lovely.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I agree, nice loaves. I decided to wait until tomorrow afternoon to bake, it would have been well after midnight before I could have baked that recipe, because it takes close to 5 hours.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Those loaves look good, Chocomouse. Are those your iron bread pans?

On Monday morning, I baked Oat & Peach Muffins, a recipe from Muffin Magic [Ryland, Peters, and Small, 2010], pp. 24-25. It was one of those little cookbooks with pretty pictures that ended up in the discount section. I found it a few years ago, back when I still lived near a bookstore where I could browse. It had a few recipes I thought made it worth my while, and when we were packing up the guest quarters for the now ongoing renovation, I found it and set it aside to try some recipes. I had some leftover frozen peaches, as I had had to buy some ringers to supplement the fresh ones when I made jam a couple of weeks ago, so this recipe was a good fit. I made a few changes in that I reduced the brown sugar from ½ cup plus 2 Tbs. to 1/3 cup, the largest amount I usually use in a muffin. I replaced 1/3 of the AP flour with white whole wheat and added 1 Tbs. milk powder and 1 Tbs. flax meal. I sprinkled a little of the Penzey’s cinnamon sugar on top before baking (it has a bit of vanilla in addition to the cinnamon sugar). I baked them as six jumbo muffins rather than a dozen and reduced the temperature from 425 to 400F. (Lower temperature works better with USA pans.) I baked the full 25 minutes. I had a warm muffin for breakfast. These are good, although I would not necessarily buy peaches in order to bake them; I suspect , however, that they would be at their best with fresh peaches, so one day I will give that a try. That means I will type up my version of the recipe to keep, as one of the charms(?!) of these little gift cookbooks is their incredibly small typeface.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

Chocomouse those loaves look so good and great rise!

chocomouse
                        Participant

Yes, BakerAunt, those my Lodge cast iron, 8.4" x 4.5"; I use them for all my yeast breads, only once in a while using the long oval covered baker.

I have a peach coffee cake in the oven now. I sort of used a recipe I found online after much searching. I used 4 large, juicy peaches, and Greek yogurt, and added cinnamon and ginger to the batter. I put down a layer of batter (with chopped peaches folded in) and then a layer of cinnamon streusel, and a top layer of batter. It smells divine, and luckily, unlike yeast breads, I don't have to wait until it has cooled to cut a generous taste test!

BakerAunt
                          Participant

Ah, yes, Chocomouse, ginger with peaches! My recipe used 1/2 tsp. cinnamon and 1/4 tsp. nutmeg (I grate fresh). However, these muffins would be excellent with the addition of candied ginger in place of the nutmeg for a more assertive flavor.

I can also report that my tomato-zucchini tart warmed up well (350F for 10 min. in small oven) on a metal pie plate. Indeed, I think it is better today than when it was first baked.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

A month or so ago, I adapted Peter Reinhart’s Oat Bran Bread (from Brother Juniper’s Bread Book) by incorporating buttermilk, flax meal, replacing 4 cups of the bread flour with that much whole wheat, using a cup of high-gluten flour in place of 1 cup of bread flour, replacing brown sugar with honey, reducing the yeast, and reducing the salt. I also changed the mixing method. The recipe is now my own. My husband and I loved the taste, but the bread was not as soft as we would like, which led to lots of crumbs. I wanted to try fixing that, so this time I incorporated 4 Tbs. olive oil after adding all the flour and then kneading. The recipe had made two large 9x5-inch loaves. This time, I made it as three 8 ½ x 4 ½-inch loaves, a size we prefer for our sandwiches. I baked for 40 minutes at 350F. They look good but a tad smaller than I would like. The recipe could probably be scaled up slightly.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

I made Hamelman's semolina bread today, 1 1/2 loaves went into the freezer for later.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

I baked my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers on Wednesday. I am trying to use a lighter hand with sprinkling salt on them.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.